Friday, October 13, 2006

 

Prestidigitalization

Man, I just saw a demonstration of a new product for libraries: Digitized newspapers of the ninetenth century.

Totally searchable -- across all, by publication, by state, by topic, whatever.

They're gonna keep on until they take all the fun out of diggin' around in the archives! Makes me wonder if my own microfilm reader is obsolete.

On the other hand, the database has only 500-some papers. They've barely scratched the surface.

It has four Indian papers -- my personal interest -- on it:

The Cherokee Phoenix, from 1820s-1830s in New Echota, Ga.; the Cherokee Advocate, from 1840s and forward in Tahlequah, and Indian Journal, 1876 and forward, in Eufaula, both in Indian Territory; plus one I'd never heard of from Idaho.

Bundles and microfilm will continue to be the main source for most papers for some time. But the handwriting does appear to be on the Internet firewall.

--ER

Comments:
Dude, seriously, you're wondering if microfilm is obsolete? You own a microfilm reader -- a piece of technology, may I remind you -- so of COURSE it is obsolete!

ROFL!

But how cool that they have digitized some papers that old. It absolutely will make research easier. It would have been bliss if I could have searched a WWII Army post newspaper digitally last year instead of driving to Austin to the Texas Newspaper Depository at the LBJ Library. I have to say I found other reasons to enjoy the trip, however. You can't eat great BBQ and listen to live music online. Yet.
 
Very cool use of technology.
 
You don't happen to remember the name of that database, do you?
 
Kiki, it's brand new, and part of the Thomson (sp?) textbook publishers. ... I'm in a hotel "business center" and the info is upstairs. I'll try to think to get it before I post again.
 
Kiki, it *is* Thomson Gale. It is so new it's not on their new products page yet. When it debuts, I think it will be linked with others at:

http://www.gale.com/
product_sites/index.htm

It is called "19th Century U.S. Newspapers."
 
Thanks, ER! It sounds like something some of our history folk would be interested in, so I'll be sure to pass along the info to our history librarian.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?