Friday, October 20, 2006

 

On the 'recovery' of Christianity

Hey, y'all, the Rev. Robin Meyers, pastor of my church, has the pulpit for the next three weeks at "Day 1," the old radio show formerly known as "The Protestant Hour." A church member paid for the three programs, which don't come cheap.

Meyers:

I want to argue that the recovery of the moral imagination is more crucial to the recovery of Christianity in our time than all the arguments about doctrine, duty, or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

When I say the "recovery" of Christianity, I do so for good reason because I believe that the faith we cherish has been hijacked -- taken hostage by men who, as this sermon will try to make clear, just can't imagine why what they are doing would be unimaginable to Jesus.


Read all about it (or listen).

--ER

Comments:
Amen and amen.
 
Truly great, I had to go back and re-read it. Sounds like the kind of stuff we hear at Jeff St. I suspect we have very kindred churches.

As to "walking a mile..." have you seen this quote:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

-Brian O'Rourke
 
Dan, what's cool about this church -- to me anyway -- is that in "order of worship" it is high church all the way. But in surroundings, it's Puritan, no stained glass, no fancy arctecture. I like the mode of services mainly because I didn't come up that way -- was grown, I think, before I knew there was such a thing as a church calendar.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?