Sunday, September 17, 2006

 

Sleep aid: Philippians 4:17

CORRECTED. -- ER

The other night I awoke, as I sometimes do, in physical pain (my shoulders and back) and emotionally distraught (semi-regular spiritual distress).

Who amongst us doesn't? (If you don't, be glad!)

The thought that gripped me as I wrestled to go back to sleep:

"We're all so desperate.

It's hard to explain, but for those few moments, I felt my part in the continuum of humanity, and that was the underlying sentiment-emotion-feeling:

Desperate. We all are just so desperate!

And around that dark thought, my tossing and turning ceased, and down came what can only be called a peace that passes all understanding, and I relaxed and slept.

We're desperate, God knows. God knows we're desperate.

We're desperate. God knows.

That's why the Prayer of Confession today at this church resonated with me:

God of hope and joy, we long for you in ways we do not even understand. We seek your face when we do not even realize it. We need your presence in our lives. Let us find you by calling for you with all of your names. Help us to expand our limited sight, to stretch our prejudiced ears and to break out of our finite experience so that we may experience your infiniteness. In Christ's name we PRAY, Amen.

--ER

Comments:
Amen.
 
"In Christ's name we PAY"
I thought it was just their Martyr complex!
 
Rolling on the floor.
 
Hoo hoo LOLOLOLOL -- pant, pant -- gasp! Apparently, I did not have eyes to see when I typed that! ... And GP amened it! Ha ha!

Consider it fixed!
 
Martyr complex? Come on!

I say that the side that has control of all three branches of the national government, owns talk radio, is making actual inroads into breaking down the public school system, has set gay rights back a generation, believes it has ALL the answers of theology and doctrine because it clutches "the holy, infallible, inerrant Word of God" in one hand, "Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations" in the other (as if they'd read the damn thing), and so dares to ask God for justice on their enemies rather than seek mercy for us all -- yet STILL thinks "liberals" run the country, I'd say THAT side has a martyr complex.
 
Oh, I saw it, but I'm a Presbyterian, you know...not all that quick to point out the sins of others..
 
thanks for this.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?