Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

God bless Billy Graham

Brain is in neutral. No time to go anywhere I'd really like to go this vacation week. Besides, it's hot out there. Nice and cool in here. Lots of books to read. My get-up-and-go got up and went.

I was going to write a nice intro to the following, from the current Newsweek cover story on Billy Graham, but, nah.


"(Billy Graham) is far from questioning the fundamentals of the faith. He is not saying Jesus is just another lifestyle choice, nor is he backtracking on essentials such as the Incarnation or the Atonement. But he is arguing that the Bible is open to interpretation, and fair-minded Christians may disagree or come to different conclusions about specific points.

"Like Saint Paul, he believes human beings on this side of paradise can grasp only so much. 'Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror,' Paul wrote, 'then we shall see face to face.' Then believers shall see: not now, but then."

Oh, I think this deserves emphasis:

"A unifying theme of Graham's new thinking is humility. He is sure and certain of his faith in Jesus as the way to salvation. When asked whether he believes heaven will be closed to good Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus or secular people, though, Graham says: 'Those are decisions only the Lord will make. It would be foolish for me to speculate on who will be there and who won't ... I don't want to speculate about all that. I believe the love of God is absolute. He said he gave his son for the whole world, and I think he loves everybody regardless of what label they have.'

"Such an ecumenical spirit may upset some Christian hard-liners, but in Graham's view, only God knows who is going to be saved: 'As an evangelist for more than six decades, Mr. Graham has faithfully proclaimed the Bible's Gospel message that Jesus is the only way to Heaven,' says Graham spokesman A. Larry Ross. 'However, salvation is the work of Almighty God, and only he knows what is in each human heart.' "

No other comment, other than: "It's good. Go read it."

Pilgrim's Progress.

Or, read a summary from PR Newswire.

--ER

Comments:
This realization of our need to leave the judging to God, and that ALL people are God's children, are at the root of historic Christianity, it seems to me. You can see how Billy's wisdom has only grown, as his love through Jesus Christ, as the years passed.

Btw, when's the last time you heard these verses quoted, from Acts 10?

Verses 34-35:

"Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right."

That's one of my favorites, from Peter's instruction from God that
Gentiles are not "unclean."

Christ is the answer, and that is our message! But to teach the "full
counsel" is to receive instruction such as that above.
 
Mouse, I couldn't agree more.
 
ER: Yours is a blog I truly love to read. While not a red neck, in fact my neck is pretty white, I enjoy your posts. This one especially.

I have always seen Billy Graham as an evangelist, not as a politico, and for that I have always had great respect for him.

Hope your vacation goes better.

interesting side note. My Grandfater was a Crusade organizer for New York during the 40s. My mom played piano for George Beverly Shay at one of BGs New York crusades. They way she tells it, her dad called her to the stage to play. George told her the hymn and the key of D. She had no idea where D was, so she asked if C was OK. He just nodded.
 
As I read the article in Newsweek, I realized that Billy Graham would be immediately attacked on the web by the Fundamentalist Christian Right for his position and what he said.
It has happened before. Back in 2000 or 2001 Billy Graham was interviewed on FOX and the conservative shit hit the fan.
Imagine, that there are those who would deem it within their right and ability to consider whether or not Billy Graham is Saved.
So I have wandered the blogosphere looking and sure enough they are beginning to come forward with the real truth and condemnation of Billy.
Well if Billy Graham ain't material for Heaven, then what about those hundreds of thousands of people he pointed the way for?
Sure gonna be a lot of wasted space up there.
 
Thanks, Jim.

Drlobo, I remembered being floored the first time I read that conservatives were doubting Billy Graham's "salvation"! Who do these people think they are?

Oh, that's right. The Christian Taliban. Sheesh.
 
I don't think Billy Graham would approve of the way you use the word 'sucks'. I am not of his religion, but I love Billy Graham. My parents loved him, too. All Southern ministers, and others, try to imitate his drawl; sometimes the result is PITIFUL!
George Beverly Shea will always be one of my faves. There's just a 'goodness' that emits from Graham that leaves me feeling there's HOPE. Now, if you're not through feeling sorry for yourself, may I offer a suggestion? I'm serious; I did this once, and it works wonderfully! Before going to bed, write down five 'blessings' in your life. Do this for five nights in a row, not repeating any blessings listed before. That's 25 blessings! If I didn't care about you, I wouldn't make such a request. Hasta la vista.
 
I don't think Billy Graham would approve of the way you use the word 'sucks'. I am not of his religion, but I love Billy Graham. My parents loved him, too. All Southern ministers, and others, try to imitate his drawl; sometimes the result is PITIFUL!
George Beverly Shea will always be one of my faves. There's just a 'goodness' that emits from Graham that leaves me feeling there's HOPE. Now, if you're not through feeling sorry for yourself, may I offer a suggestion? I'm serious; I did this once, and it works wonderfully! Before going to bed, write down five 'blessings' in your life. Do this for five nights in a row, not repeating any blessings listed before. That's 25 blessings! If I didn't care about you, I wouldn't make such a request. Hasta la vista.
 
I use those kinds of tools to trick my brain sometimes. That's good advice. It doesn't suck!
 
Nicely said Sir. Nicely stated. We don't have all the answers. God knows the questions. We've been asking them for years.
 
Ah Suck, what a great word. Ever walk out in boggy mud and have to try to back track? When you pull your foot out and the sound it makes shuuuk and it comes out all muddy and icky. Not that "sucks" and it is such a good Anglo-saxon onomatopoeic word that sounds like what it is. I don't think Billy would take offense at that. But maybe it sounds like another word that sounds like what it does and that is too close for more sensative souls.
 
replace with:
"Now that "sucks" and it is such a good Anglo-saxon....."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?