Sunday, July 30, 2006

 

Of the United States of America





Growin' up in the heartland has trained me well. No matter what else, this is a gorgeous sight. May the ideals it represents return to our land.




After we found our seats last night at the the rodeo, I looked over my right shoulder and saw this. Awesome. I fired off 20 or so shots. I've stood waiting for a breeze to unfurl a flag for a photo before. A stiff wind presented a picture-perfect opportunity -- *and* made the 100-plus-degree heat tolerable.








This is Dick West and Champion, his wonder horse! Ol' Dick, the announcer said, has been a trick roper since age 14, "in 1942." That' means he's 78. The heat like to did him in. We thought he was going to keel over. Kept grabbin' his chest and got all red in the face. But the show went on and ended with his finale: twirlin' three ropes at once, one in each hand and one in his mouth. Lord grant me such energy at 78.


Another pic or two anon. Blogger is being fickle about pix all of a dang sudden.

--ER

Comments:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/uclickcomics/20060730/cx_db_uc/db20060730
 
Yep.
 
Any rodeo stories, ER?
 
A couple. But I'm keepin'
em to myself until blogger will let me put up omne more pic to go with 'em, $^%&%^(!
 
old glory never really did it for me. she's a little too busy for my taste.

the confederates had a better flag. busy, yes, but more structured (asymmetry creates tension - ask any photgrapher).

KEvron
 
I love the St. Andrews Cross (Rebel battle flag) -- or did you mean the Stars and Bars? :-)

Baited, ER is -- and hooked!
 
either is better, but the cross is truer to the banner form than the battle; the square shape lacks elegance.

best flag ever? the nazi flag. a very compelling image. it was a stroke of genius on the little effer's part; he knew what appealed to folks.

KEvron
 
upon further investigation, i find i've cofused some terms.

stars and bars, same effect as old glory. st andrews (not squared) is the one i mean; that's the better design.

can i make that any less clear for you?

KEvron
 
I was just gonna wait for you to untangle yerself, and you finally did. :-)

For the sake of peace with my fellow man, I've quit adorning myself and my vehicle, but I can look up in my home office and see, tacked to the ceiling, both a battle flag -- actually, the Navy jack -- and a Stars and Bars.
 
The best flag ever is the Jolley Roger, Skull and Cross Bones. No ambiguity, no shibolith, just a straight forward easy to understand declaration of intent.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?