Sunday, July 09, 2006

 

ER kitchen still life (and utter rejection)

What yer lookin' at, among other things, is the plum pie I baked last night. First pie ever!

I only recently discovered pre-made, all-you-do-is-open-the-tube-and-unroll-'em Pillsbury pie crusts! Seriously. Dr. ER wonders how I've survived this long. Every trip to the grocery store, and I've been makin' a LOT of 'em lately, I come home with some new "discovery."

"Hey, looky here," I might say to Dr. ER when I come a-boppin' in to the house, loaded with grocery sacks. "It's a potato scrubber! Idn't it cute? Looks like a lil tater!" Whereupon Dr. ER will give me that look. That look that says, "How have you survived this long?" And I will shoot her a look that says, "Circle K hotdogs and Fritos, mainly. Oh, and any form of livestock you can sear on a grill or fry in a pan."

Anyway. Here's the plum pie recipe:

6 cups of plums, sliced thin
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
premade pie crusts
9-inch pie pan

Slice and pit the plums. Preheat oven to 425. Mix sugar, flour and spices in a big bowl. Pour in sliced plums and toss. Bottom crust in. Pour in mixture. Top crust on. Vent. Brush a little milk on the top. Spot with butter. Into the oven: 15 minutes at 425, then 1 hour at 375.

Now, as is obvious from this picture, I overfilled the pie. Oh, well. Live and learn. But it's a good, tart pie. Yum.


Now, for the the utter rejection.

This is what I found in front of the house the other night when I came home from work: Our household dumpster, with some of its innards in the street.

What's in the box of papers? About 15 copies of the last paper I presented at a history conference. They fell out as the trash truck arm-lift thing dumped our trash.

THE TRASH TRUCK REJECTED MY RESEARCH AND WRITING. Talk about bein' rejected!

Hoot! :-)

--ER

Comments:
There are probably few convenience foods more worth using than the Pillsbury pie crusts, I think. I'm especially pleased with them now that you can just roll them out instead of having to unfold them.

Now you'll have to try a good old-fashioned apple pie. Yum!

And as far as new discoveries: Go to Target and get yourself one of those cute little shredders so some trash-picking historian doesn't come along and swipe your research off the street! LOL!
 
Utter rejection sounds a little to bovine to me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?