Tuesday, May 02, 2006

 

Third anniversary! Blitz research!

Of my 39th birthday! Today! Happy birthday to me!

I'm spending it off from work-work -- and buried in the books and archives.

See, I just found out that this October, the annual meeting of a specialty historical organization that is right up my alley will be in an adjacent state.

I have it in my head that I can whup together a suitable paper to present at said meeting by the deadline of May 15. Fifteen pages would be enough, I think.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I am a glutton! ... Hey, some people fish. Some people golf. I do historical research.

I have the two newspapers I need not only on microfilm, but already in paper form from when I was a copying fiend a few years ago while workin' on my masters. I have almost every secondary-source book I need right here in my home office. And I'm fixin' to run to the college library for a few more items.

The Western channel is on in the other room, for inspiration. Maybe I can do it! And even if I can't, the effort will have gotten me off high center on the project, which I've been wanting to do anyway.

The thesis: The Branding Iron/Indian Champion, a newspaper "devoted to the Indian and stock news" published under auspices of the Choctaw Nation in 1884-1885, went way beyond "cowboys and Indians." The paper was a frontier journalism microcosm of the then-popular concept of "civilization."

The editors disdained cowboys' shenanigans on the trail and during roundups on one hand, and encouraged cattlemen and the cattle business on the other. They worried about the "wild" Comanche, Kiowa, Cheyenne and Arapahoe to their west on one hand, and fretted about the "civilized" Choctaw delegation's doings in Washington on the other. They wanted David Payne and Oklahoma "boomers" dealt with on one hand, and worried about the Choctaw residential permit system on the other. Even the names of the paper reflected an awkward balancing act: With funds in hand from the Choctaw Council, the editors named the new paper The Branding Iron, then renamed it within weeks when leading Choctaws objected, to The Indian Champion.


All of which I just pulled out of my heiney.

I can research and write this paper by May 15.

--ER

Comments:
Happy birthday! I know you're having a good one because you're doing what you love. Top it off with some sort of animal carcass for dinner and all those other things that make you who you are!
 
Happy birthday. Maybe you should just eat a portion of an animal "carcass" for dinner.
 
Oh, danged if they weren't dealing with the passin' of the open, the advent of bobwar and fence cutters!

Shoot, Saturday night at the new Rancher's Club at OSU, I had a 24-ounce bone-in ribeye that was PEFFECT, courtesy of Bird and her YankeeBeau (well only trechnically; neither of them had come close to usin' up their meal cards for the semester, so they splurged on us all to the tune of dang near $200! (Not countin' the three glasses of wine I had). ... and I was gonna say I was about ready for some yardbird, but now, thinkin' about that wonderful chunk of cowflesh ... I think I'm still makin' up for 40 days sans beef! There *is* an Albertson's not far from the college ...

Alert: Anybody with any information on something called the Protective and Detective Association, based in Dallas, founded in 1881, fill me in. The Panhandle Stock Association, I think, was founded the same ytear, and it had a Protective and Detective Association Committee; and it all eventually became the Texas and Southwest Livestock Association. But I can't find anything on the Protective and Detective Association proper, of Dallas. Which is why I'm headed to the liberry. I know of one source that might have something on it ...
 
Best wishes to you on your Jack Benny birthday! Now, is it really your 39th birthday? (In fact, if you really are 39, you probably won't even get the reference to the "Jack Benny birthday", since that was before your time.)

So does that make you a Gen Xer or what?
 
Oklahoma hombre thread july 2005

http://oklahombres.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5176036794/m/72310707621
 
Other online sources you probably already have:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~okblaine/xmessage_1.htm

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/EE/fev23.html

This one is not on line:

Frontier Times 1/28 TEXAS HISTORY Murchison Smith Vogel
 
Try this one:

Lawmen and Outlaws
...as a private detective in Texas, he ... organized the Cherokee National Stockmen's Protective and Detective Association in 1881 and ranchers of
www.rootsweb.com/~okcraig/history/people/lawmen.htm
 
The frontier times article on line;

http://www.frontiertimesmagazine.com/0128.html
 
Another reference you may already have:

PI VINTAGE- A Museum
The Spy And Private-Eye Museum. From the personal collection of Ralph Thomas with huge links to other museums. and areas of like interest. ... soon to be on display at the Spy Exchange And Security Center For you to view in person in Austin, Texas ... Protective And Detective Association Horse Registration, Sept 19th, 1882 ...www.pimall.com/nais/pivintage/pivintage.html
 
Happy birthday! Better just have a salad. Hold the bacon bits.
 
Happy, happy birthday, ER!

And I have no doubt that you can write that paper--you've got more'n a week, and you're only planning on 15 pages? Pshaw.

But then, I'm at work-work slowly churning out a 15-20 pager for school-work, so I like to believe anything's possible. (And sooooo glad the semester's almost finis.)
 
RSB, I'm 42 today! And I *do* gret the Jack Benny reference. :-)

Thanks for the links, Drlobojo and Anons.
 
Happy Birthday OLD buddy!!

Got'chyer Rockin' Chair on lay-away yet?

(Oh, Sorry...Didn't mean to wake you up.)
 
Happy Birthday.

Dang, 42! That's old. ; )
 
42, Dang that make me feel old.
 
How 'bout one of you old folks cluin' us young 'uns in on the Jack Benny reference?
 
Jack Benny was perpetually 39 years old. Every time he ever mentioned his age, he was 39, even though he was obviously much older than that, hence the relevance in this context.

(Or so I've been told...)
 
Ha! I saw it on black-and-white reruns when I was little ...
 
Black and white TV re-runs? I used to listen to him on the radio!
I think he was back to back with George Burns (Oh God, to most of you children)and Gracie Allen on Sunday nights.

Say Goodnight Gracie.
Goodnight Gracie.
 
GP!

"One wag, overhearing someone ordering a chef's salad, was heard to say, 'A chef's sald! You don't come to the Bar-L for a chef's salad! You come to the Bar-L for pure-dee animal fat!"

--"City Magazine," circa 1990?
 
42 ain't the least bit old. It better not be, I was 42 some years ago myself! Happy Birthday ER!
 
A FINE birthday! A couple hours putting old books on new shelves at the house, then FIVE hours in the liberry, readin' a copyin' a book on the cattle bidness publiushed in 1895, and another one pubbed in 1936 -- and then a martini, steak supper and dos glassos of shiraz. Just right.
 
City Magazine! RIP


We were all much younger then...
 
Happy Belated Birthday, ER! I hope you had a good one! Or even several of them. :)
 
Get off the blog and go write the 15 page paper. It is already in your mind dump it out on paper. You do it every day already. It is no big deal. Just do it. (that would be a good slogan wouldn't it?) (( everything that starts out with the word "just" should be outlawed for a 100 years.))
 
But first I have to reread-skim sections of about a dozen more books, then read the editorials in about two years worth of weekley newspapers.

*Then* it will be in my head. Then I can write it.
 
Bah, academic overkill.
Write it, then feed it.
First way you fatten it up and then cut away the fat.
Second way you, sew up the skin then fill it up just enough.
 
Ya got a point there. ...

OK. I'll look at each book, scan the chapter titles and the indices.

But I HAVE to read the newspapers!
 
Maybe I'm too late to comment on this one..but I wanted to wich you happy birthday.

And tell you that you *so* can write the conference paper in time!

SuperB
 
Thanks, SuperB!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?