Friday, April 28, 2006

 

History finds!

Woo! The state Historical Society is having it's annual to-do through Saturday (why yes, I *am* on the program, thanks fer askin') and the old, used, worn-out, some-body-died-and-left-us-a-bunch-of-crap-books book sale is going on!

Here's what I picked up:

Hot dang! A roll of microfilm! (I have a microfilm reader rightcheer on my desk next to my 'puter.)

"Special roll: 1880 Census of Cherokee Nation All Districts -- X-857 -- 1890 Census of Cherokee Nation: Canadian, Saline, Cooweescoowee, Flinto, Going Snake, Illinois, Sequoyah (districts)."

I know, because I have seen it before when using this roll at the Historical Society, that Great-Great-Grandpa ER's name shows up on the 1880 rolls as a legal resident by permit, and that one of his sons, a brother of my Great-Grandpa ER, shows up on the 1890 roll as an "intruder" -- an illegal alien.

How's *that* for somethin' to have around the house?

And I picked up the following books:

1. George August Lofton, SO: Or the Gospel in a Monosyllable, (Chicago: Fleming H. Revell Co., 1900).

(A lot more total depravity that I care for: "This is Old Theology versus New Theology; and it is hoped that this book will meet a painful want in this day of so many various ologies and isms in religion" -- and this in 1900!)

2. Helen Hunt Jackson, Ramona (Boston: Little Brown, 1916; reprint, 1884).

(Had my eye out for this for several years. The author meant it to be an "Uncle Tom's Cabin" for Indians. It's been in print since she wrote it in 1884, but, hey, I like old books, so this 1916 edition suits me fine -- especially for $1.50.)

3. Sandra Faiman-Silva, Choctaws at the Crossroads: The Political Economy of Class and Culture in the Oklahoma Timber Region, (Lincoln, University of Nebraska Press, 2000)

(The "Oklahoma Timber Region" is Little Dixie. Choctaw history is one of my interests, although this is more anthropology. A note on the Wikipedia link to Little Dixie: The region is not "Southern" just because of Southerners who moved in "after the Civil War." The dang Choctaws, who came from 1830 forward, were and are Southern, hailing from Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, which makes eastern Oklahoma "Southern," since -- oh, don't get me started.)

Off to the history center!

--ER

Comments:
Say you are at the new History Center. While you are there, check out the "farm exhibit" the one with the cow. You might mention to someone in charge that they have the shingle cutter's (that is the froe)blade mounted upside down to its handle. And even worse (I admit knowing how to use a froe is somewhat esoteric) in the Vietnam War exhibit mention to someone that they should remove that pansy ass fag ARVN camaflogging uniform they have up the as the only example of a Vietnam uniform. Some US Airforce Siagon based son of a Congressman probably had it made by a mamma-son, wore on leaves, and donated it, but it is shit as an example of what we wore in Nam. It is an frackin insult. (Maybe they can't actually find one? Most of us threw everything but the jungle boots and the AK's away we came home.)

Also one of the bows in the indians' exhibits is strung backwards, don't remember which one.

OH yes and I am jelous of the book finds.

Bitchy S.O.B. aren't I. Why didn't I say these things to them directly? I was too damned pissed about the Vietnam thing. I've been pissed at the OHS about their treatment of the Nam history ever since they helped down-grade the Okla. Vietnam Veterans memmorial into a generic pile of crap "honoring all vets" all of whom already had their own memorials, and put it where no one can see it or actually visit it.

Wow there was a lot of pus under that bandaid.
 
Sorry, I don't think I'll be slappin' around the history establishment in this state. :-)
 
Woos, just because you want a career as a historian. OK, when you "BECOME" the history establishment I'll come see you.
 
Good luck on the presentation tomarrow. May Clio lift your mind and voice to eloquence.
 
Best to you...You're my favorite cranky historian. But don't buy any more books unless you're planning to add on.

:-)
 
The trick is to start using books as furniture. :-)
 
Heck, the trick is to start using books as outside walls.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?