Tuesday, November 01, 2005

 

Tree of Life


By The Erudite Redneck

Twenty-one years ago this fall, in the frosty after-midnight hours on a Friday night, a 20-year-old ER like to met his maker in this grove of trees, where a creek goes under an old U.S. highway a couple of miles from the house in eastern Oklahoma. The speedometer was hovering between 48 and 50 at impact. I think my car was a '78 Chrysler LeBaron. Big car. Thank goodness. The tree that stopped me from rolling into the creek upside down is right in the middle of the picture.



Here's a closeup. The scar remains. I drive by it often when I'm home visiting Mama ER and Brother ER. Totaled the car. I lost some teeth and had to have a root canal. I have a scar on my chin still. The doctor in the emergency room was annoyed because before he could sew me up, he had to pick Copenhagen out of my face flesh. I had just taken a job at a radio station. The guy who hired me actually held the announcing job open for me for 30 days until I could talk right again -- as right as any hillbilly can ever talk.

Stupidest thing I ever did came right before impact: "I think I'll lean my head against this nice, cool window." And it came after a 12-pack at least of other stupid things, consumed to and fro a high school football game 60 or so miles away.

I broke in a new youth minister that night. He was 20-something, right out of seminary. He was a city boy -- and he had no clue what he had gotten hisself into by taking a job at my church.

He's the one I called when I got out of the crumpled, bloody car and stumbled down the road to a house to a phone. He's the one who came and got me.

He's the one who drove back by the scene, with a county deputy car and highway patrol there, trying to find the driver.

He was the one who convinced said law officers that while the still-cold Coors cans glistening with condensation, reflecting the emergency lights of two cop cars, were obviously mine, that since no one else was involved in the wreck, I probably had had adequate punishment by wtecking my car and my face.

He's the one who drove me into Fort Smith, Ark., to the emergency room.

He's the one who I called, not a family member, because I was properly embarrassed and ashamed, and well, the fact is, a youth minister is decent cover for less forgiving authorities.

Hug a youth minister next time you see one -- especially if it's a city slicker who's call has sent him to a little town with a bunch of redneck kids.

Redneck Christian kids believe in Jesus -- but as a direct result, they sometimes also believe they're 10-foot tall and bullet proof. Until you grow up some, blessed assurance can make you plumb reckless.

--ER

Comments:
Dude . . .
 
12????! Good grief!

Glad you lived through it so you could be here to keep me entertained. ;)
 
One of many examples of why I say the Lord has to have repetitive stress disorder from repeatedly keeping mne out of serious trouble. :-)

--ER
 
I well remember that next morning
when I woke up, to find friend
ER's car totaly smashed. It was
in front of Henry Curl's house
(God bless him in Heaven now)
I can remember it took my
breath away..
Thanks for the memory of Henry
he pulled many of my friends
out of the ditches that came
up to meet them.
 
Well that's one life used up. Is it eight to go, or have you used up more than that one?
 
Let's see.

Daddy like to drove a plow over me when I was little bitty -- I was saved by a hired hand.

I had spinal meningitis in second grade and damn near died.

A train missed my rear bumper by inches at an uncontrolled intersection in Fort Smith.

I've has to people pull switchblades on me in bars, once when I was a bouncer, once when not.

Three guys rolled me up in a blanket and were loading me into the back of their van at Kerr Lake one night -- then my friends showed back up, they dropped me and hauled butt. (Me and Mr. Cuervo had gone round and round.)

Hmmm ...

I worked the graveyard shift at truck stops along Interstate 40 in shady-creepy-crimey eastern Oklahoma.

I've had some close calls.

--ER
 
I counted six in that list for sure. That plus the tree is seven.
Dude you have two left. Time for caution.
 
Well, now, don't forget some of the self-inflicted lopping of digits and other injuries, which could be lethal.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?