Saturday, November 05, 2005

 

ME-lancholy

Blindsided by that son of a bitch, Melancholy. When this happens, there's no work, no progress on anything. Just muddling around, waiting for it to lift.

I've done two things today:

Uno. I started this book. Any feminists, women college professors and-or historians lurking about -- especially historians of the American West, the Southwest, American Indians or Oklahoma -- should check it out. I think this book will put the author, who led one of my own grad seminars, on the national stage for women historians. What I've read so far is excellent.

Two-o. I managed to get out and go to the Annual Food Festival and Baked Goods Sale at St. Elijah Orthodox Christian Church. Friend of mine goes there. Then I wandered around the nearby Barnes & Noble wishin' I had the money to get Dr. ER what she wants for Christmas. I'll be able to get it before then, but I'm half afraid they'll be hard to get closer to the holidays.

Pbhth.

Lone ol' dang ol' house anyway.

Ehh! Eh! Ehh!

I think I need some chocolate. I think I need some coffee. I think I need some coffee and some chocolate. I think I'm going to Starbucks. Quad venti mocha, please.

--ER

Comments:
Hope you got some chocolate & coffee. Melancholy's a bitch (in the bad way). I spent most of the day sleeping, but I think my excuse is I may be coming down with something...
 
Quad venti mocha. Best $5.23 I spent all week. :-) ... and I think there are some chocolate eyeballs, rotten fingers and hairy ears left over from Halloween in the other room ...

--ER
 
Melancholy: Churchill called it being visited by his Black Dog.
 
Black dog? Veddy intedesting. ... It IS a bitch. But it hits me more like a ... full-body stuffiness.

I mean, you know when your head's all stuffed up, and you can't smell or taste anything very well, and you're so busy trying to breathe it seems like you can't hear or see very well, because you're self-distracted?

That, from head to toe. And it usually hits on Sunday, which either means tomorrow is gonna be a real m-----------, or it'll be a great day.

I predict nocturnal storms, though, which usually leave me tired. My bad. Mocha, then a plate of Oreida french fries and a pickle. After 9 p.m.

I'll probaboy dream of Black Dogs -- Churchill's as well as the one whathisname appeared as in Harry Potter. Ooooh, there's all SORTS of raw material there to feed a nightmare!

--ER
 
Melancholic,

What happens is when I realize I'm alone, I grow idle! Thank God for Ice-T (the cat)!

I was never more productive than when Dr. ER and Bird and I were all in this house at the same time -- even if they were in the other room. Just hearing them laugh and talk, or even get frustrated with one another and argue -- whatEVER -- gave me energy.

Now, when it's just me and Dr. ER, it's hard not to be in there with her (whether she wants me there or not).

And when it's just me, I'm screwed, usually.

--ER
 
That's sweet, RebAngel! :-)

--ER
 
The Harry Potter dog was named Fluffy, but he was modeled on the mythical dog Cerberus. Cerberus is known from Greek myth as the three headed guard dog or hound of Hades,
whom Hercules had to kidnap as his twelfth labor.
Sweet dreams.
 
But there was a black dog that Harry's gofather, I think, appeared at first. ??

--ER
 
ER, you're thinking of Sirius Black, an animagus who could turn into a large black dog, who was Harry Potter's godfather. There's also Fang, Hagrid's dog, who I think is also black.
 
Sirius Black! That's the critter!

--ER
 
What a great name, Sirius Black. Sirius, the dog star Canicula, the brightest star in the night sky combine with Black, or no light at all.
 
That Harry Potter lady is a genius with language! "Knockturn Alley"! That kills me! Better even than "Diagon Alley"!

--ER
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?