Friday, November 25, 2005

 

Bronze (or linens or lace)

Dr. ER and I got hitched eight years ago today before a justice of the peace in a Texas courthouse.

Weddin' photography by one of my reporter-photographers who I'd assigned to be there (without telling him what for). That was fun!

A skinny little Bird, all knees and elbows, was present, uncomfortable in a dress for the occasion.

That was it: Me, Dr. ER, Bird, my reporter-photographer friend (who has since passed), and the lady JP, who was the coolest judicial official I've ever known (I got to know her covering cops and crime as a cub reporter).

Then we went to have dinner at the best steakhouse in town, then went home.

That weekend, Bird stayed with her grandparents, and Dr. ER and I went to Fort Worth, to the arts district (Amon Carter Museum, Kimbell Museum and such), supped at Sardine's, a cool Italian restaurant with good live jazz -- and stayed in a Motel 6 along Interstate 30, which is what we could afford, where we're pretty sure there was moderate gang violence in the parking overnight.

And there you have the beginnings of the ER household.

Happy anniversary to us!

--ER

Comments:
Happy anniversary to both of you!

(That's a great wedding story, by the way.)
 
Happy anniversary, y'all!

My maternal grandparents got married on Thanksgiving, but that was before it was a set holiday (their anniversary is the 22nd or 23rd, I can't remember). It was their 65th this year.

May you and Dr ER have many, many more anniversaaries to come.
 
Happy Anniversary to you.

By coincidence this happens to also be my ex-wife's birthday, and we also got married before a Justice of the Peace in the Henderson, Indiana, county courthouse.

Hereafter referred to as "the anniversary of the day that Satan fell to Earth".

But not for you. Happy Anniversary to you.
 
Happy Anniversary to you both! Now, that's my idea of a good wedding! May you enjoy many more years together!
 
Curiously, my ma and step-pa got married the day before Thanksgiving in 1988. It was freezing up in the Central Oregon high desert, and I wondered for a minute if we were even going to make it up the drive to the place the thing was held. There was a sheet of ice that musta been six inches thick on the road.
The thing was officiated by a non-sectarian rabbi (my stepdad being of the Jewish Redneck variety: if you grew up Jewish in central Or., you'd be a lot more redneck than Jewish), who did the thing at the end with bride and groom sharing a wine glass, and while wrapping it up in a napkin, he said,
"Now I'm going to put this on the ground here, and Dave's gonna stomp on it. When he does, what do you yell?"
The room, half filled with old Finns and the other half filled with old Jews, was deadly silent.
I couldn't believe it. "MAZEL-TOV!" I said.
"There we go!" he said, pointing at me. "Doctor Who knows!"(I was dressed in my finest 1880's duds, this being a solemn occasion.)
Ah, good times. Congrats to the both of ya'.
 
Happy anniversary and many more!
 
Happy Anniversary!
 
I remember the first time DR. ER showed me your picture and then drug you around to meet us all. Then she told us that she met you on line (is that correct?) and that you were a reporter. All I could say to her was "condolances".
I wasn't one of her favorite people at the time and I'm sure that reaction didn't help none. But as time went along she came around to know I was a good guy and it also came obvious that you two just might survive each other.
I've been married to about six different women over the last 38 years. Damndest thing is they all answered to the same name and shared the same body, and were the same person. People change as we go along. May you two have the longest and best of togetherness.
 
Happy anniversary!!!
 
Hope your anniversary was wonderful, and may you have many more!
 
It was quiet and wonderful until Bird showed up. I wish she'd've just stayed the hell in Texas -- oops. I have vowed to say nothing if I can't say anything nice, and I've already failed.
 
Oh, man. Dr. ER is going to kick your butt.

(Topic: The effects of brush-killing pesticide 2,4-D's drift onto surrounding cotton fields. What should be done? Dr ER was in an entomology seminar at the time, I think, or something like that, and was all about pesticides, even though we were talkin' about herbicices, not insecticides, that night. FINE flirting topic, however, as it turned out).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?