Tuesday, October 04, 2005

 

On 'the Truth' II

Apparently, there's a glitch in the post "On 'the Truth' " -- I can't open up the comments. Below is the most recent comment, from Pastor Timothy, and my own response:


ER,
Yes, the word Humanism has been corrupted, but in today's understanding of it, and theology, we need to reject humanism. The Reformers would not hold to this position, as it stands today, because it puts man as the center of all things, instead of God at the center of all things.

B,
I would love to see what you think are false charges against Catholicism. I think for a lot of Protestants, especially me, the problem the pope brings to the church is the most serious, since, as we see it, rules for Christ and sits as the visible representative for Christ. I don't think Augustine, or Peter would hold to that at all.

ER
IF this is not the place to discuss this, then let me know.

BTW, I do accept that there are Christians who are Roman Catholic, I'm just besides myself why they remain Roman Catholic. :)
God bless

--
Posted by Pastor Timothy to Erudite Redneck, B.S., B.S., M.A. at 10/04/2005 10:42:47 AM

---

Pastor Timothy, I think you are mistaken. The very earliest Reformers, coming out of the Renaissance, were humanists, in the sense that Man, as the highest of God's creations, was regarded as the measure of all things.

I'm not getting into any anti-Catholic crap here. Y'all do what you will. I think it's an insult to the Cross for believers to beat each other up over these things. I think it's arrogant to concentrate on where we disagree rather than on where we do agree.

For myself, I believe that no man comes unto the father except through Jesus. I am NOT so sure anymore that the saved have to necessarily even know about it.

Rejecting the Gospel is one thing. Not buying every single point of doctrine is another. If prayers are made to saints who cannot act as intercessors, so what -- if prayers are also headin' up postmarked "Jesus"?

And pope schmope. I'll quit worrying about the role of the pope in Catholicity when there is an utter dearth of Jimmy Swaggarts, Jim Bakkers, Benny Hinns and other Elmer Gantrys bringing shame to Christianity.

Besides, Orthodox do the saint thing in some form, too, I think -- and if anyone has a claim to being the "first" church, it's probably them.

Just rambling, y'all.

--ER

Comments:
And now, of course, the comments on the first "On 'the Truth'" are working again. Feh. Consider that thread shifted to here, please.

--ER
 
I think the Pope is a very good man. I like him.

ER, you bring yp the point which I think we all, as Christians, can agree.

No man comes to the Father but by Jesus.

I have lived a few years longer than you, ER, and have made 2 incontrovertable conclusions:

1. There is a God
2. I'm not him.

And yes, I borrowed that quote. I am not clever enough to come up with anything original.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?