Friday, October 14, 2005

 

The Long and Short of it

I'm off to beautiful Long, Okla., where one of my bestest, oldest friends is buildin' a house.

Long, which had its post office from 1894 to 1937, was named for Peter Long, a Cherokee leader, according to this book. Long is not far from Short, which had its post office from 1908 to 1954 -- and which Mapquest cannot locate.

Short gots its name as a contrast with the name of the post office at Long, according to the same book. Both Long and Short are in the northern territory of my old stompin' grounds.

Tonight, around a fire, numerous coldbeers, and a few nips from Mr. Dickel, will ensure a fine time will be had by all, although the crowd will amount to only a few. Most of "us" are far-flung these days. Heated discussions will ensue. Politically, the home builder makes most of y'all cons and neocons look like moderates.

Except Tug. He and Tug seem to be cut from the same cloth, although Tug is a Repub and my friend is a lifelong Democrat. Still. Both Tug and my home-building friend bring out the conservative righty right, as well as the liberal wacko, in me. Which is why they both are fun to hang around.

I took off work this week to work on other projects, and I have so far only accomplished maybe 30 percent of what I wanted to do. I'm also off Monday and Tuesday, so there is time for me to pour it on next week. Maybe this short trip will spur me on, help me shake off whatever the hell is doggin' me and help me get my mojo back.

Adios, y'all.

--ER

Comments:
Good luck. Hope you get your mojo back. You are so much more fun with your mojo. Ha!
 
ER,
I am sooo sorry I can't
be there to dance around
the fire. Please tell our
friend, many best wishes
for a long life in his
new home. I will get up
to see it one day..I WILL
I WILL..God as my witness.
 
Ditto, Jeannie!
 
Pleasant Dreams.
 
Hey, have a great trip!!! I'll miss ya.
 
Have a wonderful trip warming by the campfire, tipping beers and I'm not quite sure what "nips from Mr. Dickel" are, but I'm sure they're fun.

And thank you for your warm comment that you left for me.
 
ER, I really apreciate your compliments.

The reason that i blog in the first place is not nessecarrily to change anyone's mind, or convert anyone to Conservatism, but to make people think, and for them to make ME think.

For the love of the debate.

You are still my favorite sparring partner, (even though we haven't had a real go-round lately..)because you know how to disagree without getting mean and hateful about it.

You are a statesman, and an idealogue, and there are far too few of them, on either side.

Have a good trip, and tell your House-Building Buddy that I said "Hey, There!"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?