Monday, October 10, 2005

 

(E)R encounters feminism

By The Erudite Redneck

Heady days, they were, for a young R. Away from home for the first time. In college. Real college. Not the juco 45 minutes down the highway, but Oklahoma State University. The Real Deal.

It was a 165-mile drive from the house if I went through the metropolis of Tulsa, which I did not, or 195 miles if I avoided Tulsa and stayed on Interstate 40 -- the stretch of it that is mostly a country drive between Oklahoma City and the Arkansas border -- and two-lane state highways, which I did at first.

Driving through Tulsa was too unnerving for a young R who learned to drive in a pasture, then on dirt and gravel roads out in the sticks.

College! Mind wide open. Took some history classes -- and this way before I ever dreamed of getting a master's in history. It was 1987.

One of the first classes I took was "Women in American History," taught by a hot-shot brand-new female prof with a still-smokin' Ph.D. from Duke, I think, but I'm not sure. (I cannot remember her name, but once when I did recall it, I looked her up on-line, and I think she was at Stanford. She did not stay at OSU for long.)

It was me and a dozen females in the class. No doubt, I stood out: Jeans, boots, Western shirt, Copenhagen ring on a hip pocket.

Day 1: Prof passed out notecards and asked us to put down our name, our major and why we were takin' the class (a junior-level course; I messed around for a couple of years at a juco before haulin' off and movin' to Stillwater to do college for real.)

My turn came to stand and reveal myself, and boy did I:

"My name is Redneck. My major is journalism. I'm takin' this class because my best friend in high school says this country has gone straight to hell ever since we gave women the right to vote. I thought I'd check out his theory."

Not use of the pronoun "We" -- as in, "we men."

Crickets chirped. My heart beat grew noticeable in my ears, then louder and louder. There were only two senses of humor in the room: Mine and, thank God, the prof's -- NOT that she was amused. I think she recognized that before her stood a rare, rare thing: A redneck self-presented for reformation.

Plus, it was her first teachin' gig, I believe. And there's no way anyone can spend more than a half-hour in Stillwater and not realize it's a prairie college and all that implies, and a land-grant ag school, to boot. Used to be signs up at the back of some of the classrooms: "Please keep boots off the walls." Used to be signs up in the hallways, aimed at the dippers: "Please do not spit in water fountains." In other words, I was not the only redneck on campus, not by a long shot, just the only one standin' up in the "Women in American History" class, unabashed.

I tell you what, group work in "Women in American History" wadn't easy after an intro like I put on. Most of the gals in the class were serious feminists.

I was Public Enemy No. 1 -- until after a week or two, and they saw that I was stickin' it out, and debatin' them with the respect they were all due as human beans, and showin' that I was capable of changin' my views when presented with a good argument and hard evidence. Plus, I didn't try to change their ideas too much.

For a term paper, I dug my cowboy boot heels in a little deeper: "Phylis Schlafly and the Eagle Forum." Hoo boy. This was 1987, recall, the heighth of the Reagan Era.

Managed to make a B on it -- which is a credit to the prof, who made it clear she disliked the topic, but was as fair as could be, nonetheless. Besides, it was a serious research paper: Although it was ostensibly about Schafly, no way could I do it without some readin' of Steinem, Smeal, et al.

But I know she winced when I quoted someone referencing "The Feminine Mistake," which is, of course, a play on Betty Friedan's classic "The Feminine Mystique" -- about like the ACLU puttin' out a book on religion called "Wholly Babble." Meanin' it did not set too well with her.

Anyhoo, I set myself up by diggin' a hole, first rattle out of the chute, and worked my hind end off and got a B in the class despite my self. I wish I still had that paper. I'm sure it would be a real hoot.

That class turned out to be one of the most important ones I took as an undergrad. Helped pry my mind open, although it never was sealed shut.

I've kept virtually every book from every college class I've ever taken - and that's 191 hours as an undergrad, 33 as a grad -- excepting a college algebra text and a statistics book, which perished in a roar of flames and a sprinklin' of beer and pee pee in a small ceremony involvin' a few friends late one night in the middle of a dirt road, under the moonlight, in the Arkansas River bottoms in Sequoyah County, Okla. God, I hated that class.

But I loved my "Women in American History" class, and almost all others. Did my heart good one time when Bird, as either a high school junior or senior (now a sophomore at OSU) was needin' some resources for a paper of her own, and I could lend her my early edition of "Black Women in White America" (Gerda Lerner, ed.) one of the books in my "ER meets feminism" class back in the day.

Other books in the class were:

William L. O'Neill, ed., "Women at Work: Two Classic Studies Which Indicate How Far Women Have Come: 'The Long Day: The Story of a New York Working Girl, by Dorothy Richardson (1905) ... and How Much Remains the Same: 'Inside the New York Telephone Company,' by Elinor Langer (1970)" (New York: Times Books, 1972).

Mary P. Ryan, "Womanhood in America: From the Colonial Times to the Present," 3d ed. (New York: Franklin Watts, 1983).

Nancy F. Cott and Elizabeth H. Pleck, "A Heritage of Her Own: Toward a New Social History of American Women" (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1979).

Man (so to speak), lookin' those up on Amazon showed me just how dated those books are. But y'all academics take heart:

Publishers drop good books all the time, and, of course, "the literature" of yer discipline continues to evolve unabated. But stellar professors and excellent texts continue long in the memories of those who want to learn -- especially rednecks seeking erudition.

END

Comments:
I'm glad you took the class, and I believe you when you noted that the literature in any field of study continues to evolve. I hope you can keep your beloved texts in the context of their time, because feminism has definitely evolved in the past 20+ years and continues to do so, as all things do. Sometime when you have no pressing writing or speaking planned, it would be interesting to see what you think of the current literature.
 
Surely you still have a copy of "The Total Woman" by Marabel Morgan, too? As I recall, you were quite enthusiastic about it. :)
 
Crystal, musta been back when I was tryin' to teach you how fix brown beans. And drink beer. ;-)

--ER
 
Crystal, I honestly had to look that book up on Amazon. It wasn't until I saw the cover that I sorta remembered it. If it's what I recall, what red-blooded unreconstructed redneck Murkan man WOULDN'T be enthusiastic about it? :-)
 
If ER wants to know the current state of Feminism, he don't need no book. All he has to do is look across the dinner table, and ask the question and he will get a detailed answer.
 
That story just warms my little heart.

And kudos to your professor--I have to admit, I would have had a hard time *not* laughing when you said that. Are you sure she wasn't looking stern just to keep herself from a guffaw?
 
Am I NEVER going to hear the end of those beans? :)

I can't believe you had to look up that book. It was, like, mandatory reading from you back when. Just to refresh your memory, here's a little snippet from it.

"Do not give your husband advice."

"Charlie was constantly on the phone with his stockbroker. A dozen times a day they conspired...I was jealous of the time Charlie spent on the phone. (and) I was worried sick that he'd gamble away all our savings.

"One day the broker...called me on the phone. He knew that Charlie was at work and he gave me some advice:

'Let your husband do what he wants in the market. Don't ever tell him what to do with his money. You stay out of it and take care of the kitchen.

"...the wise, old gentleman had sensed my animosity (and had) seen that I wasn't accepting Charlie's role as provider, nor was I submitting to his family leadership."

"Once you begin accepting your husband, you can stop worrying about your role as his chief advisor. He doesn't need your advice."

-The Total Woman,
by Marabel Morgan

Of course, there were also the advice she had about meeting your hubby at the door in various "costumes" too, to let him know you were sexually available after he finished eating your home cooked meal.

Ringing a bell now? :)
 
B, that very well may have been the case. :-)

Drlobojo, damn straight! :-)

Crystal, no, you will never hear the last from me about them beans. ;-) ;-) ... Ah, yes, "The Total Woman" costumes! Saran Wrap, wasn't it? :-) :-) Seems like there is also a discussion of uses for whip cream? In a footnote, it recommends letting it fully thaw. ;-)

--ER
 
Wasn't the Saran Wrap advice demostrated in a scene in "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
In 1966 I ran into my first serious feminist who was 19 at the time. She refused to say "and Obey" in our wedding vows, and she hasn't.
As for whip cream, "Seems like there is also a discussion of uses for whip cream? In a footnote, it recommends letting it fully thaw".
That's got to be wrong, a real total woman would have made it by whipping the cream after milking the cow and seperating the cream herself. At least the Total "Redneck" Woman would do it that way.
 
Well, my first encounter with feminism does not bring back fond memories. It was the spring semester of 1992. I was a freshman at UF. As a part of the Honors program, I was required to sign up for at least one 'Honors' class each semester. The particular class I opted for was entitled "Southern Women Writers". The course description said something about reading the works of Southern women and comparing/contrasting their point of view with Southern male writers. It gave examples of each - I don't remember the women, but the men mentioned were Faulkner and Tennessee Williams – two of my favorites at the time (I probably haven’t read either in ten years now).

This particular class met on Tuesday and Thursday nights - from 8 - 9 on Tues and 8 - 10 on Thurs. The first class (on Tuesday) was cancelled. The drop/add period was over by the time the class met the following Thursday. When I got there, I was one of two guys in a class of roughly 20. When the professor walked in, she made a little announcement about the course description being wrong in the catalog and she hoped that we had all been informed by our advisors. Apparently some of the class had. Chris and I had not (Chris was the other guy – he lived down the hall, in the same dorm as me). The actual course title had something to do with Feminism. Southern was completely removed.

I should mention that I have quite the redneck side, myself. I keep it pretty well in check now-a-days. At eighteen years old, I did not. Anyway, she gave a little spiel. I said a few things, but mostly sat there. Towards the end of the lecture, she passed out some 5x7 note cards that we were to write down some stuff about ourselves and what we hoped to gain from the class. While we were filling them out, she began a short film on the life of a couple of lesbians. I hurriedly filled out my card (in full redneck mode, mind you), said something about the movie and stormed out.

Come the next class period, she asked me to step outside prior to class beginning. She was holding my card and asked me if I meant what I wrote (I did). She told me that she did not want me to step back into her classroom. In so many words I told her that she screwed me over and I was forced to continue her class to meet my honors requirement. She said she’d take care of it and that I was not to come back to her class. She really did take care of it. I ended up in some class on Greco-Roman mythology. She even paid me cash for the book (some compilation of feminist essays) I’d bought for her class.

Sorry this is so long.
 
So sorry, Rem. Hope that experience with a real radical doesn't still color your thinking too much, although I can't imagine it not. I'd say, though, that you were better off in the Greco-Roman class.

Drlobojo, I do believe you are correct with the "Fried Green Tomatoes" reefer, although I don't recall that the book was mentioned overtly. Maybe it showed her reading it or something similar.

--ER
 
Re: Fried Green Tomatoes -- Kathy Bates' character Evelyn took several classes on "women's studies" -- certainly not "feminist studies." In one class led by Fanny Flagg, "The Total Woman" was one of the readings. So she decided to try spicing things up with hubby Ed by wrapping up like the Thanksgiving leftovers. Ed did not react well.
 
Pshaw "real radical." No professor wants someone in the class that's going to be manifestly hostile to the course material. What *did* you write on that index card, Rem?

And southern women writers--Flannery O'Connor? Eudora Welty? Kate Chopin? Alice Walker? Zora Neale Hurston? Admittedly "The Awakening" is overrated, but the rest of 'em are great.
 
Feminism??

What's that??
 
It means E.R. is going to start wearing blue nail polish and perfume, Tug, and you guys will share your favorite recipes.
 
Speaking of Fanny Flag, I am a real fan of her writting. She is one of the best of the modern
Southern writers today. If you haven't read any of her books, pick up a copy of "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe" or "Welcome to the World Baby Girl". Those two are still in print I think. Literature? maybe not, but good reading, yes.
 
OKOKOK it is FLAGG with two G's.
 
Alright OK it is Fannie with an IE.
 
ER, I should have known the costumes would have brought it all back for you. :) I don't remember reading the footnote for the Cool Whip, but I'm guessin' you'd only forget to thaw it once.
 
Aww, ER, I was dying to read that paper. Heck. But this was a wonderful snapshot! I can see those scuff marks on the walls right now! It's amazing how vivid some of these experiences are. Now, if you'll excuse me, this makes me want to dig out my books, too.

And rem870, you were a kid then, so no biggie, and I hope you've learned at this age to be more open to things you don't understand. We learn when we step outside our comfort zones. Sometimes it's worth asking why we are so uncomfortable.
 
I was uncomfortable 'cuz I got bushwhacked. I believe that the real intent of the class was made known to those whom she wanted to know about it. I felt (still feel) like she was intentionally trying to increase her class size by misstating the course title/description and then by cancelling the first class, entrapping those that were signed up.

As for the note card - I stated my displeasure at being 'played'. I also made it clear that I was in the anti-feminist camp. I was neither insulting nor threatening. I was upset, but willing to 'pay my dues'. While I appreciate her helping me out of her class, I do believe that she overreacted.

As to Dr. B's list - In the past few years, I've read Chopin, O'Connor, and Walker. I enjoy literature - always have. Had the course remained a literature course, there would not have been a problem. A course that tackles literature with a political slant is very different from a course whose sole intent is to push a political agenda.
 
As I think I might have mentioned, I attended college at a very liberal school. The Women's Studies program there was a thing of legend.
No less than Courtney Love (who also attended school there) has written a song denouncing the whole scene ("Olympia"), and in particular bashing the Women's Studies program as being more about man-bashing and less about viable strategies for equality. I'm told men were not allowed to even talk in those classes.
So I didn't take that one. What I did take was a term of queer studies ("The Gay Nineties"), in which almost everyone there was straight. Sort of by proxy, I ended up reading a lot of feminist literature.
When a discussion of Audre Lourde (sp?) came up, I pointed out that her travel writing was superb, but her generalizations about gender were dated and less than helpful.
One dewy-eyed true believer in the class spoke up: "I think it's really ironic that we're sitting here listening to what a straight white man has to say about the writings of a black lesbian."
Big laughs, as always accompany the easy joke, followed. I said, "I hear ya', but I'm in this class, and I was asked to read this book and comment on it. So that's what I'm doing."
The true believer soon after left the room in tears, for some reason.
 
I don't know why any women would be offended by you saying, " I'm takin' this class because my best friend in high school says this country has gone straight to hell ever since we gave women the right to vote. I thought I'd check out his theory."

Seems to me, you are proving yourself to be open minded and ready to learn.They should appreciate that.
 
It was a smart-ass thing to say, for laughs that didn't come. Said seriously, it would've been worthy of an ass-kicking.

--ER
 
Main Entry: fem·i·nism
Pronunciation: 'fem-&-"niz-&m
Function: noun
: the presence of female characteristics in males

I newit I told the old-lady that letin them boys get holes poked in ther ears ain't natural. Them women have tooken over so much that the fellars think they have to wear earrings to get some equality back.

Ok let me have it!
 
LOL, Kris

--ER
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?