Monday, October 31, 2005

 

Costume party

What memorable costumes have you worn trick-or-treating as a kid or to Halloween parties as an adult??

Mama ER sewed me a great devil costume, complete with pointy tail and bought a great rubber mask and trident to wear -- to a church party!

It was back in the day before so many churches got so dang uptight. It raised a few eyebrows, but it wass all in fun. I was dang near trumped by the host, who borrowed a casket from somewhere and his teenage son was a bloody corpse all night.

In 1995 or '96, whenever Newt and the Repubs were making their successful effort to retake Congress, I went as the scariest thing I could think of.

I shaved my beard (last time I did, in fact), got a close haircut with whitewalls over the ears even, put on a three-piece, pin-striped suit, carried a Wall Street Journal and Milton Friedman's book "Free to Choose," and toted a small hatchet.

You got it: The scariest thing I could think of that October was a right-wing budget-cutting Republic congressman.

Many years ago, I went to a party as a sort of redneck Charles Manson type freak. Somewhere there is a picture of me with a hand-scrawled swastika penned onto my forehead. Not one of my proudest moments.

A few years ago, Dr. ER and I went to a Halloween party where the costume theme was "Come as a song title."

Dr. ER found the arm of a baby doll somewhere and stuck it in the front pocket of her keans. She was "Hand in MY Pocket" by Alanis Morissette.

I bought a pair of overalls for the occasion, printed off a cattle sale flier for an upcoming ranch dispersal sale at Muskogee, stuck a corncob pipe in my mouth and donned one of my straw Resistols. I was, of course, the "Okie From Muskogee."

!!! It's 6:25 p.m. Been dark for a half-hour. No kiddos to the door yet! Once again, I'm surrounded by sourpusses. No lights on on my end of the block except for mine: Two punkins carved just for the occasion by Bird, scary as all get-out. But it takes clusters of houses to get good trick-or-teat crowds ...

--ER

Comments:
Holy mammary gland. I just noticed the typo!

If some kid comes up and says "trick or teat," well, I don't know what the hell I'd say! LOLOL!

--ER
 
It's 9:01 p.m. Soon as I get of here, I'll go out and blowout the jack-o'lanternbs, turn of the porhc lite and hope fot eh best from the tricsters. (Ice-T, the blackest cat, is safely in the house).

Kid total: 36.

Not too terrible. :-)

--ER
 
ER, I once went out to eat and to a bar dressed as a flasher.

I wore a trench coat, a Fedora hat, a pair of black Penny Loafers w/socks, and nothing else.

Made for an interesting evening when the girl I was dating at the time figured it out...
 
On Halloween night, of course.

I'm not a FREAK, or nothin'...
 
Ha! It'd been a lot funnier if you'da done it, you know, like, in the middle of May or something. :-)

--ER
 
Any PC Police out there won't appreciate this, but here goes: Back in college, my roommate and I went as Klansmen. We went to Wal Mart (the horror) the day before and bought sheets to make the costumes out of. We even did our own sewing. To keep the pointy hats up, we rolled some egg-crate foam up. They looked pretty good, if I do say so myself.

We went to a party Halloween night. When we got out of my truck, we donned our hoods. I grabbed a double barrel shotgun and he pulled out an old axe handle. We barged in the front door and shouted, "Bring out your niggers!" The place went silent. Then someone said, "Is that you, Rem?" When I picked up my mask, everybody busted out. It was a little tense there for a minute, but once everyone realized it was me and just a joke, we were a hit. And yeah, a couple (maybe more than a couple) of people were offended, but I don't regret it. I doubt I'd ever do it again, though - the ol' older and wiser thing.
 
Oh, man. I have been present for similar types of costumes. One of these days, I'll post about how I seriously considered joining the Klan Youth Corps -- but couldn't square any of that BS with the Gospel. Thank God for Jesus is all I got to say.

--ER
 
When you work at a hospital like I useta, you have the oppurtunity to acquire many red things that say 'biohazard', and 'contaminated' all over them.
We had ourselves a little costume party in Med. Rec. when I was there, and shoulda won. It was great to hear my boss, looking at me dressed in a bag meant for contaminated waste, gauze mask, booties and hard hat covered with biohazard symbols, say, "And Rich is...Is a...Is a Threat to Human Life."
 
A decade ago, I was working at the newspaper in Dodge City. Had to have a part-time job to pay the bills, and I had one at a bar/eatery as a bartender. The staff decided on a '70s theme for the Halloween party. So my large, bearded self decided on an outfit. Found some bell-bottom slacks that, by the grace of heaven, finally snapped and zipped, but I swear, I didn't breathe for hours.

Had a tab-colored shirt I found at my folks' house -- must've been my brother's back in the day -- that didn't quite fit. Twas on the smallish side, if you get my drift. The top four buttons didn't attach. Still a good look with a '70s theme.

I shaved my beard down to mutton-chop sideburns. It was a blast. Of course, the bartenders tried to drink one beverage per five we served, so we were feeling no pain that night. I even did the macarena. I can't believe I just admitted that.
 
Ahem, that should be tab-collared, not colored. Sheesh!

Shut up, Trixie. :-)
 
Well, just to give you a visual picture to laugh at... A throng of my friends decided one year to dress up in costumes and go to Molly Murphy's, long since defunct. The wait staff there always dressed in costumes and we decided to entertain them for a change.
We all went dressed as fantasy/sci-fi sorts of characters -- some went as the "un-dead" and various other things.

Me? I was a nymph. Yes. I went wearing green tights and a long sweatshirt cut in points. I had the curled up toes on my shoes and even had a pair of Spock pointy ears. It was adorable.

And... we paid our huge bill with "the coin of the realm." We each had leather pouches filled with change. I can't believe we did that.
 
How fun! I can see you as a nynph!

--R
 
Good show, MBR!

--ER
 
I've only ever had two really good costumes in my time. In college, I went to a party as the Man without Pants. Basically, I put on my Sunday finest but "forgot" the trousers.

The other was last year, when I went as the 1995 Tulsa World spelling bee champion. The costume was just a t-shirt, which an ex-girlfriend got for me years ago, that said "1995 Tulsa World Spelling Bee Champion."

I spent the entire night telling people, no, I was not actually the champ (which any editor can tell you).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?