Friday, September 09, 2005

 

Overheard at the ER supper table

Bird is home! Bird is home!

She is SUCH a college girl! Khaki knee-length capri pants. Casual sleeveless shirt. Sandals. No make-up -- and she doedn't "need" it. Boston Red Sox ballcap on backwards (Massachusetts-native boyfriend influence), red hair spillin' out the back.

We were all gabbing, stumblin' over one another, havin' a fine ol' time over supper at the Delta Cafe here in town. Talkin' about school. Talkin' about her BF. Talkin' talkin' talkin' hoo-ha'ing and just carryin' on.

Everybody else is the joint, just about, had blue hair or were otherwise way too civilized and quiet, which made us stand OUT. Imagine.

Dr. ER, ER and Bird, all hangin' out together, genuinely glad to be with one another -- which is THE best thing about our Bird. She loves us and is not embarrassed to be seen with us in public -- not matter how erudite, or how redneck, we get. And it almost always is a good combination of both.

Bird regaled us with stories of "Preacher Bob," this generation's incarnation of "Brother Jim" and "Sister Cindy," two fundies who were always screaming at people, "in Christian love," of course, when I was at Oklahoma State back in the day.

(Read about "Preacher Bob" here. He actually sounds like an everyday run-of-the-mill Holiness preacher. On the other hand, I know from personal experience that even the freakiest of freaks can come across as dang near normal in a newspaper interview. Whatever. Bless him. Bird seems to recognize the difference between "preachers" who scream at people and those who more genuinely represent the message of Jesus.)

We're talkin' about classes. No tests yet. Physics is hard, but she likes it. Chemistry is hard, but she likes it.

Art history is -- "hard" -- "boring" -- and she hates it! Which makes Dr. ER and ER's liberal arts hearts sad. But hey, Bird likes the math and science stuff, which pays better. So that's OK.

And out of Bird's mouth comes this, which dang near causes me to snort deep-fried corn out both nostrils and Dr. ER to do same with a chicken and-or dumpling:

Bird: "All that Greek crap looks the same! Nothin' but dudes with their weiners hangin' out! Every day! And all the weiners look alike!"

That's college, that's art, darlin'. :-) And that's a hoot!

--ER

Comments:
Yay! So glad she's home. Enjoy :)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Oh, Lordy me. I hope y'all realized the "Greek weiners" were in classical Greek art, and not the "Greek fraternity system." ... Least I THINK that's what Bird was talkin' about! ... Maybe I ... um -- huh. Maybe ... I ... BIIIIRRRRDDDDD!!!!!!

:-)

These kids today ... :-)

--ER
 
Oh, then it's actually PRE-MED!!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
"She is SUCH a college girl! Khaki knee-length capri pants. Casual sleeveless shirt. Sandals. No make-up -- and she doedn't "need" it. Boston Red Sox ballcap on backwards (Massachusetts-native boyfriend influence), red hair spillin' out the back."

Hey Bro, I heard more of the love of Christ in than statement than any number of religious-sounding words from "Preacher Bob."

You're a proud papa, as you should be! And she's blessed to have you, too.

Btw, I know you know God works thru the regular folks much more so than the "religious" people. Check your Bible for proof.

Peace,
Anon.
 
Kind words, PeaceAnon. Many thanks.

--ER
 
I'm glad you had such a good time. I think I like this side of you best. :P

RebelAngel
 
Oh, and I thought she was talkin' about the Greek fraternity system! Hee hee.

RebelAngel
 
That Three&Eight is Dr. ER. ... We have to get this handle situation straightened out ..

--ER
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Red alert. Phasers are on kill.

High tolerance for bullshit on political posts. Zero tolerance when it comes to Bird and Dr. ER.

--ER
 
I rather enjoyed art history when I was in school, but I think a lot of it has to do with how interesting the professor makes it.

Of course, I was going to try to be an art major so I liked art history before I started.

You never deleted me! I feel left out! You have threatened to, though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?