Sunday, September 04, 2005

 

Jesus and justice

This is a snippet from the most profound hymn. To some, I suppose it is old hat. I had never heard it before. It so spoke to me this morning, I ached. I've bolded the words that hit me so hard.


The hymn is "Spirit of Jesus, If I love My Neighbor."

Spirit of Jesus, if I love my neighbor out of my knowledge, leisure, power or wealth,

Help me to understand the shame and anger of helplessness that hates my power to help.

And if, when I have answered need with kindness, my neighbor rises, wakened from despair,

Keep me from flinching when the cry for justice requires of me the changes that I fear.

If I am hugging safety or possessions, uncurl my spirit, as your love prevails,

To join my neighbors, work for liberation, and find my freedom at the mark of nails.

Amen.


I don't have acces to the rest of the hymn, from The New Century Hymnal. Anyone who does, please add it in the comments.

--ER

Comments:
Wow, ER. So glad you posted this. I'm struck by how affected I am reading words on another's blog. These internets never cease to amaze.
 
Man, I Do...Not...Know where you guy's get the time to write and read all this blogger stuff, what with all the time you must spend working in soup kitchens and homeless shelters to help the poor poor people. I mean heck, you must help people in your hometowns since having the guard sit around doing nothing in case a natural disaster happens makes more since than helping people in another country that can't protect themselves from being gassed by a madman.
 
Anon, what spirit is it within you that drives you to such meanness?

I admit that the spirit that drove me the past couple of days was the two-headed one that always drives me back to the Cross: Fear and Shame.

By the way, for your information, I can't speak for myself, but my work keeps me on the computer almost constantly. And I think fast, so fast, actually, that it overcomes my two-fingered typing and -- ah, but, never mind.

You probably didn't actually mean to inquire. You meant to hurt. Try again.

I repent. Of much. Including not doing enough for otherss.
 
E.R., that's a fairly new hymn with which I'm not familiar. I collect hymnals, among other things, so I'll be looking to add this one to my collection. Good text. I looked up the writer of the lyrics. Interesting guy.

Music has the power that words alone don't. It's a language that reaches places in the heart that can't be reached any other way.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?