Sunday, September 25, 2005

 

Bird's Yankee beau

Bird's Yankee boyfriend did not show up with the "deer in the headlights" look I would have had 20 years ago in the same circumstance (meeting a sweetie's primary male parental unit for the first time).

Not did he have even the hint of faux bravado, or whatever it is, that some boys, and men, put up to make up for fear and nervousness.

He seemed quietly, easily self-confident, is all.

He's studying aviation, and has 10 hours of flying time. Makes sense.

And Bird looks at him in a way I never saw her look at her previous b-friends:

"Looky here what I found!" she seems to be thinking. "What a nice guy."

And, damned if he doesn't favor Dale Earnhardt Jr. from the side. Bird L-O-V-E-S Junior.

Good for the them both! And they met on-line, just like Dr. ER and I did, in a structured, not wide-open, circumstance, just like Dr. ER and I did. How cool.

Sadly, bad timing on my part caused the boy to get only a few bites of the "ER Special" steaks I fixed up for him and Bird and a friend of mine who came over for supper. They had to leave for the concert before either of them could do more than wolf down some salad and their baked taters and just a bite or three of steak.

My bad! They were the some of the best steaks I have ever grilled! Sigh.

One of the things Bird and Yankee Beau share in common is a sharp wit and love of sarcastic remarks. He was wise enough to keep such down, maybe because Bird knows I have a low tolerance for such, coming from her.

Closest he came to it was this, which I thought was funny, not biting sarcasm (Bird, see, still hasn't quite learned the difference in being witty and being overly sarcastic to the point of cutting people a new one when she really doesn't mean to):

Before cooking, when cleaning the table attached to my trusty Weber kettle grill, I was about four squirts into it before I realized I was spraying equine fly spray (procured for the dogs awhile back when flies were tearin' up their ears) instead of the anti-e.coli cleaner. I caught myself, and cleaned and disinfected, but then came in an announced my mistake "in the spirit of full disclosure."

They had a good laugh about it and Bird gave me a little s--- for the goof. As I was walkin' back outside I heard Yankee Beau stage whisper: "These steaks are extra tangy!"

Ha. :-)

Overnight, Yankee Beau slept in Bird's room and Bird took the couch for some reason. Bird has a life-size cut-out of Earnhardt Jr. in her room, standin' in a corner. When she went in to wake Yankee Beau up, he said, "Your boyfriend stared at me all night!" Mirth and laughter ensued.

Ha. :-)

There was one poignant monent, for me.

Since Bird was a little Baby Bird, she has always brought ME bottles and jars to open, when her little Bird hands couldn't do the job. Yesterday, she brought the Coke bottle to HIM to open.

:-) Made me smile -- and feel the crinkles around my eyes.

Bird has found her a man.

And now they're already back in Stillwater.

I got up and felt driven again to go to the crazy-lefty church I've been attendin' since Katrina and the aftermath, and now Rita, reminded me of why Jesus is a liberal, I am a Democrat and I HAVE to, at the very, very least, SHOW UP for church.

So, I missed out on an hour or two with my beloved Bird, and gettin' to know Yankee Beau a little more.

But it was worth it. I missed last Sunday. You don't experience koinonia by readin' and meditatin' alone. You have to get up, and show up.

--ER

Comments:
Sounds to me like the dude's okay, ER.

Although I can't even begin to imagine how you must feel when you see him replacing you as THE big dog in Bird's world.

In a couple of years, we will all log on, and read about the most recent exploits and sickening unadulterated cuteness of Grampa ER's little baby grand-birds...

Have ya been down ta Wal-Mart, and put yer rockin' chair on lay-away yet??
 
Ha! Them ones they have outside the Cracker Barrel are startin' to look real comfy!

--ER
 
Yep, the Cracker Barrel Chairs are among the best. Especially the ones with the cane bottoms. They give just about the right amount. Been known to sit a little too long in one of those myself.
Young man sounds like a keeper. Of course you won't be doin none of the deciding on that. Hope he treats her better than D-Jr treats his, else your gona need that shot gun, and not just for show.
 
I actually bought one of those Cracker Barrel rockers once...
Gave it to my 2 year old niece for Christmas 3 years ago.
She still loves it very much, and she still hasn't outgrown it. It helped her to understand the concept of personal property (a lesson she has learned very well...)
I was very proud of that idea.

If ya decide to go the Cracker Barrel route, they are very high quality...You could do a lot worse...

Oh, and if you let YB know up front that the shotgun is indeed a viable option for you, you most likely will never need to use it.
 
I'm sure that he would be thrilled to know that a whole bunch of people he will never meet are discussing his relationship with Bird on the internet...
 
He's probably chuckle and say, "Y'all" -- no, wait -- he'd say, "You guise are crazy."

Definitely got an accent, the boy does. Classic droppin' of R's -- as in he rode here in Bird's ca but it wasn't too fa -- which is the New England version of G-droppin' I reckon. :-)

Oh. Bird says, "(YB) said, 'Do you guise here have plows?' " I said, 'Well, yeah ...' But he meant SNOW plows."

Laughter. Mirth.

The boy ain't even been here for a heavy frost yet, let along for a "chance of snow."

Around here, that's all it takes for milk and bread to go flyin' off the shelves at the grocery stores. He will be so amused.

--ER
 
Just imagine what your grand-birds are going to sound like...

Mixin' your drawl all up with his G' droppin' and R' droppin'...

They will barely speak English.

It'll be okay, though. You won't be able to find anything wrong with'em if ya try...
 
Spent part of a winter just outside Boston in '66. Shoveled snow off the sidewalk in front of the HQ that was five feet deep. It was 10 degrees, but felt fine. No wind. No ice. My inlaws from Alaska claim the coldest they've ever been was in Oklahoma City. It gets deep and the winter's are long in Mass., but it ain't MEAN, like it is in the plains states. He may have more than one weather suprise this winter.
 
By the by, did Ice-T take to him?
 
Ice-T was in his usual manic, rug-rasslin' foot-stool attackin' hide-and-spring-at-your-legs-as-you-walk-unsuspectingly-by form. The critter seems to take to everybody -- or at least hasn't rejected anybody yet. :-)

--ER
 
Congratulations ER, it sounds as if your daughter found a ‘keeper’ with a good sense of humor.

Now you will have to concentrate on your new project: inspiring a Yankee to form a redneck perspective.
 
YB definitely sounds like a good guy. A sense of humor is a must!

Glad you found Mayflower, ER. It's nearly a two-hour drive for me to get there, so I mostly just listen to the sermons on the radio (when the station's coming in, anyway) as there's no lefty church in my area. But those few minutes make a huge difference.
 
Kiki, I've been three of the past four Sundays, and every time I've shed tears, laughed, thought hard, been surprised and come away revived.

--ER
 
I just hope you didn't use the term "Masshole" around him.
Sounds good otherwise though. Played his cards well, and that's a good sign.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?