Wednesday, August 17, 2005

 

Cat on a hot shingle roof

Bloggy buddy Arse Poetica has a new puppy, and the pix and write-up inspired me to leave a comment of full post proportions. So here it is. :-)

Ya know, I grew up on a real farm, where real cows got real dead, where dogs were meant to chase away predators, where cats were meant to maintain a balance of power with the rats in the haybarn, where rabbits were meat and pigs were bacon on the hoof.

Not that I didn't love animals. But I just saw the reality of animal husbandry. Know what I mean?

But, the older I get (I'm 41, a meat eater and I think the more extreme animal rights groups are domestic terrorists), the more I love my "companion animals," Riker, my stepdog, and Bailey, our adoptee (and I mean those quote marks honestly, not as a swipe at the concept).

Our Riker is gettin' old and creaky, and sometimes snappy. And poor Bailey is gettin' fat and not-that-active, but Dr. ER and I are tryin' to squeeze as much love into them as we can -- and cuttin' down on their feed!

Today, Ice-T, this dang cat that, as Bird (19-year-old stepgal) puts it, "God gave us," 'cause he just showed up in the front sideyard one day with a shoulder injury and plumb eat UP with fleas, was up on the roof freaking out as I was headed to work. I was able to get the sweet lil critter, small forever for its size 'cause it separated from Mama way too quick, and has imprinted on ME, of all people, to get close enough at a low point on a gutter for me to grab him by his nape and sweep him to safety.

I came home at noon in a rush to pick up some meds I'd forgotten, and the critter was on the roof again, just a cryin' and hollerin' and squallin' -- and I simply did not have time to deal with it, and worried about him all day.

He wasn't in his usual place when I got home tonight, and I was so worried it made me ill. I am a big redneck wuss that way.

He finally showed up and was SO glad to see me and his supper! I will let him in in a but, and love on him, and try to talk him into stayin' off the roof, 'cause I know his little pads on his feets are sore from the heat of the shingles, I know he was way thirsty bein' up there all day, and I know he was plumb starved when I put his feed out.

(But I AM STILL fixin' to have some leftover beef flesh for supper!)

--ER

Comments:
Awwww, what a nice story.

I grew up on farms as well. My dad tried to get us not to name the rabbits since we'd be eating them, but we always did anyway. It never bothered us as he feared. After all, we ate the calf we named "Lunchbox," too. :)

God gave us domain over the animals. Some are for the use of man, some are for joy. I believe in eating some and simply loving some. We should never abuse them or waste their lives by killing them with no purpose.

I'll be interested to know if Ice-T gets back on the roof after having to spend all afternoon up there. Sometimes we have to let them learn their own lessons, just like our kids. :)
 

I like all of the points you have made

https://decor-ksa.com/villas-homes-window/
https://decor-ksa.com/windows-iron/



 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?