Friday, July 22, 2005

 

Redneck dreamin'

Fade in.

I'm on a scooter -- not a motorcycle -- one of those scooters big enough to 1., carry a big ol' eighth-of-a-ton redneck and 2., get up to around 55 mph, headin' to the newspaper office on the freeway I never take, since I usually take the as-yet-largely-undeveloped county road just east of it.

It starts to slow down, and eventually fails and I coast to a stop on the shoulder. I get off and can't see any clear problem, so start pushing the thing. In a minute, there's a firetruck, ambulance and a couple of cop cars -- first responders.

They start standin' around and BS'ing, because there's really no reason for them to have been called. I get on the ground and see that the chain has come off -- like on a bicycle. Easy fix, if I only have a screwdriver to prise it back on with -- but I do not, and they do not. So, I start pushing the scooter again, and --

Swipe screen to:

Suddenly, I'm walking a horse, not pushin' a scooter. We're alongside a wooden corral -- the kind you still see on old farmsteads, not the fancy put-together pipe pens you can get at the Tractor Supply. It's a narrow run leadin' to a ramp and a loading chute.

I walk the horse and tie it to a post -- this is odd, 'cause I have not been on a horse for 10 years, and never was much of a horseman atall. I walk into the pens, and there are some calves around and a bunch of trash, vaccination bottles and nutsacks and such. The calves have been "worked."

I realize I have tennis shoes on, and the lot is muddy and shitful. Over in a corner, behind a bale of hay, is a pair of boots. They seem to be work boots, but when I get over to 'em, they're the kind of shiny, pointy-toed dancehall boots that are good for looks but not much for working. Anyway, I sit on the bale of hay and start to change when I feel a tickling sensation on the back of my neck.

I mean I am laughing out loud -- and I stir in the bed and realize I am actually laughing out loud in my sleep, but don't come out of it -- and turn and look and it's a cow that has stuck its head through a loose slat on the corral fence and is tryin' to eat my straw hat, but keeps missing and it's wet cow nose is pokin' me in the back of the neck.

In the dream, me and this cow -- nondescript breed, mottled color -- go way back. 'Cause I stand up and talk to it -- although I can't hear myself in the dream and so don't know what I said -- but I was being real friendly to the cow, which, in my dream, seems sad because one of its calves has just been worked.

The calf is nowhere around; if it was it would be right up by its mama. But it is gone, and since there is a loading chute in this scenario, I presume it has been loaded up and hauled off somewhere.

Cut to:

Suddenly, I'm somewhere else, with my old guitar in my hands, playing some basic G-C-D country song ... and I wake up.
-----

Interpretations, y'all?

--ER

Comments:
Your dreams always make me glad I don't dream very often. Heehee.
 
Keep the truck. Stay away from mopeds, farm animals, and anything that sounds like a natural disaster.
 
Uh ... when you say you were real friendly to the cow ... No, don't explain! :)
 
Wow, I get an overall sense of sadness, even with the laughing cow (oh wait, you were laughing, not her...) Did you feel sadness when you woke up or just puzzlement?

It sounds like you are still trying to work through the transportation issue and maybe some of your rural/citified conflicts. (I think you still REALLY want the Avalanche!)

And maybe you're picking up some vibes -- there was a firetruck and ambulance in front of my house last night for a while. Not for me, but for the neighbor across the street.
 
I have reason to be sad this weeek, but it has nothing to do with trucks or livestock. And, actually, I woke up chuckling because I had been being tickled with a wet cow nose -- and my hand was behind my hand. Which means my brain in my sleep took the senation of mny own hand on my own neck and turned it into the cows nose. ... Dude. I need to lay off pizza after 8 p.m.
 
And Tech, you perv, I was talkin'nice to the poor sad cow and pattin' her neck and such. ... Focus on the Family helped me let go of my agrisexual tendencies -- ZING! Hee hee.
 
I am pleased that that zinger was received in the spirit with which it was intended. Just a poke, ;-)
 
Regardless of whether animal husbandry was a part of your dream, I think it means that you should sell the Dodge, forget about the Avalanche, and get a HORSE!
Think of the possibilities!
Rather than burn gas, horses actually MAKE gas! (Well, Methane gas, but it is still gas...)
They have independant suspension, can seat 2, and you can get one brand new for about 4 payments on your Dodge. Seems to be the logical choice...
 
Tug, if I don't find a way to get out of this blasted suburb and get me a country place, and some cows for tax write-offs if nothing else, somebody is liable to get hurt. :-) Oh, and of course, of course, I'd need a horse, and a horse, for looks!
 
I think it means that you are an erudite redneck, but we already knew that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?