Sunday, July 17, 2005

 

Mrs. Burnham's peach cobbler

This is what I'll be up to afterwhile. Real easy. Real good.

--ER


PEACH COBBLER
By Berniece Burnham of Charlie, Texas

FOR PEACH FILLING:
1-1/2 quarts of fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (about 5 cups of sliced
peaches)
2 cups of sugar
1 stick of butter
Dash of cinnamon

FOR PASTRY:
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of Crisco
6 tablespoons of water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place peaches in a large pot. Add just enough water so you can see the
water coming through the peaches. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to
simmering. Cook the peaches until they're just barely tender. Remove from
heat then add the sugar, butter and cinnamon. Stir until butter is melted

Depending on how sweet the peaches are, you may need to add more sugar to taste

TO MAKE PASTRY: Cut 3/4 cup of Crisco into 2 cups of flour and 1
teaspoon salt until mixture is crumbly. Add 6 tablespoons of cold water and
form dough into a ball. On a flour-dusted board, roll out to 1/4-inch
thickness (or slightly thinner). For cobbler, cut into 1-inch strips.

Line ungreased 9x10 rectangle pan with 1-inch strips of pastry that
overlap each other slightly. Fill pastry-lined pan with peach filling. Top
filling with 1-inch strips of pastry, laid across the top as they were in
the bottom of the pan. (Placed these from left to right, one slightly overlapping another, like clapboards on a house).

Bake at 400 degrees just until pastry is brown on top. Serves 10.

END

Comments:
Sounds so wonderful, but do you drain the peaches or add the sugar, etc., with water still in the peach pan?

I brought some peaches home with me from an orchard in Missouri last week. I think there's some Red Havens in the mix. Yum.
 
It cooks down some. The water doesn't get removed. ... Funny I was just talking to Mama ER and she was braggin' on Red Haven peaches. I don't remember what variety I got at Stratford; I didn't recognize it, so I don't remember it. In my farm editor days, I used to know ab9ut a dozen varieties and when they came off and in what order as summer progressed. But, you lose what you don't use, and I can't remember any of it. :-(
 
makes me want to post my barbeque rubs and sauces but I won't 'cause they are SECRETS!..ha ha ha!
 
So, I had some filling left over. What could I do to it -- or do I need to do anything to it? -- to keep it for an ice cream topping?

Mark, everybody has their own thing, but in the ER household, nothing beats a pan-fried ribeye rubbed with Lowry's, garlic powder, thyme and fresh-ground pepper. I have tried lots of stuff, but that keeps my girls, and my gut, happy. :-) I grill because I like to grill, but they're actually best pan-fried, if done tight, and that means no oil or grease in the pan, hot as blazes, salt scattered over the skillet just before you put the steaks in; sear, reduce heat; cover (mainly to keep the poppings from getting everywhere. :-)

Well, crap. I have done gone and got my stomach a-growling. Bitd just informed me she and some coworkers are going to Joe's Crab Shack afterwhile. Pffth. More supper for me -- a pork chop tonight, off the grill, with Lowry's is all.

Cobbler ETA is T-minus 47 minutes and counting. I have some concerns. Filling a little thiiner than I remember. But then that dough will soak up some, some will cook down and some will evap, I reckon.
 
Two cobblers, pork chops grilled, supper devoured, "Into the West" watched -- I'm too pooped to post yesterday's adventures with Bird. Maybe tomorrow night.

BTW, what's up with the 9x10 pan in Mrs. Burnham's recipe? They don't exist!

And, should I start hoarding wax paper? This makes two times in a row that I've had to get on my hands snd knees and fish one of two or three boxes of it out of the cobwebs of my local Albertson's!

Off to red Hogwartsian lit ra chur now.
 
Hmmm. And I hope you have vanilla ice cream to serve with it. That would make it perfect.

My mama used to make such good blackberry cobbler. I've never had any since that was as good as hers. Guess I never will.
 
Tech, I've found that to get anything close to what Mama makes, I have to do it myself! :-) Some culinary genetics are involved maybe.
 
I made cobbler yesterday too, only I used the fresh blueberries we picked near Tahlequah.

Oh, heaven. Of course, the 16-year-old made sure I didn't get more than one helping...
 
Mmmm. Eastern Oklahoma berries. Yum.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?