Tuesday, July 12, 2005

 

Meat me in the back yard

So, I am fixin' to grill chicken hooters and a big ol' sirloin steak, plus some veggies. Kinfolks I ain't seen in awhile are comin' and that's what you do this time of year: Serve 'em seared flesh of some manner of livestock.

There's a store-bought peach pie on the kitchen counter, some Blue Bell vanilla bean ice cream in the freezer and chunk of watermelon in the icebox, too.

But I'm bored with steak and chicken -- and if that ain't testimony to how good most of us have it in this country! I mean, I don't even work for a living. I write about people who work for a living. And get paid for it decently. I eat well.

The good Lord does need to come up with some alternative forms of vittle on the hoof, though.

Eh. A couple of Tsing Taos and I'll be ready for some more of the same old.

The male of the kinfolk took to drinkin' that Chinee beer while stationed in South Korea, I b'lieve. If you hear an explosion over the Heartland, it'll be because of the chemical reaction betwixt Tennessee whisky, Chinee beer and Walgreens maduros.

Cheers, y'all.

--ER

Comments:
Someone ought to poke you with a big sharp stick.
 
Ok, so it isn't "on the hoof" but the Wally World down my way has been carrying some cheap salmon lately, cut just for grilling (big ol' chunks of it with the skin still on). My poppy claims it's good with ketchup, but I like it with a little butter and lots of dill. Yummmmm.
 
A store bought pie? Tsk, tsk. ;)
 
>store bought pie

Heh -- that was my first thought too! I had the relatives over for grilling on July 4 and I was embarrassed I served an angel food cake from a box mix!

BTW, while home, I grilled pig. yes, that's right, I served grilled stuffed pig tenderloin to my uncle, one of the biggest ranchers in Texas county. He was mighty gracious about it. But my, did they have some nice looking pig bits in the grocery store in Oklahoma.
 
Well, Texas County is well known for its pig butts. :-)

ER, I get all my pies at the store, too. Why cook, when they're bakeries waitin' for buyin' folks like us.

Trix, why should ER be poked with a big, sharp stick? Take it easy on the fella. A big sharp stick might cause an infection, then a doctor'd have to cut off a digit before ER gets the chance.

:-)
 
Teditor, I haven't laughed that hard for a while. You are right.
And yet, I still want to poke him with a sharp stick since he tormented us with his dinner description.
 
'Tis better to poke ER with a big sharp stick than have him walk softly and carry one. Who knows what havoc might ensue....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?