Thursday, June 30, 2005

 

Thoughtbox by Craftsman

Over the years, Dr. ER has developed the ability to not only listen for what I mean when I say what I say, but to listen for clusters of words that have something in common with the words I use, when talkin' randomly out loud anyway.

I say I keep words, concepts, ideas and such in drawers in my mind. Those with some similarity are kept in the same drawer -- not unlike the small drawers of nuts, bolts, screws and such at my work bench in the garage.

This simile fits because as a professional wordsmith, I've always thought of words as tools, and I am constantly sorting through them, trying one, discarding it, trying another, and so on, just like when you pick up a wrench to see if it fits whatever bolt you need to loosen, and keep trying different ones until you find the one that fits.

Anyhoo, that's how she got "Yoda" out of "Guido" the other day. (See previous post).

Just now, I presented her with the Lifetime Achievement Award for hearing what I mean when I can't say what I'm thinking:

ER: "What's that science dog's name?"

Dr. ER: "Mr. Peabody?"

ER: "That's it!"

Dr. ER: "I am one smart sonofabitch."

Yes you are, love. :-)

--ER

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?