Tuesday, June 28, 2005

 

Overheard in the ER pickup

Dr. ER, between Taos and Espanola, N.M., after a storm: "Guess I'd better see if there's a rainbow. Sonofabitch. Shit."

The day before, after having left Taos, and having taken a roll of pix of a lovely old church in Questa, and some other pix of the canyon that carries the Rio Grande, Dr. ER got so excited to see a beautiful rainbow that she accidentally opened the back of the camera, exposing the roll. Heart ached, partly because she had shot the church for her mama, who has a 35-year-old pic of herself standing outside the same church with the priest, whom she knew, while the pre-Dr. ER family were on a trip to the Red River, N.M., area. Dr. ER donned her dark sunglasses, while I gripped the steering wheel. Sad moment. Sad stretch of road on in to Santa Fe.
----------

Dr. ER, as we pulled out of a Shell in Espanola: "Look at all them teepee sticks."

ER: "Do what? Do you mean lodge poles?"

Dr. ER: "They're teepee sticks, and it's spelled t-e-e-p-e-e, not t-i-p-i."

----------

Dr. ER, at a "store" at San Juan, N.M., one exit off Intrerstate 40 before State Highway 3 that goes south through Ribera, which is where the post office is that gets mail to the (Don) Imus Ranch for Kids with Cancer: "Naw, I got plans for one of them."

Hispanic woman behind counter: "This is proof that God is a man; otherwise, we wouldn't suffer as much."

Dr. ER and two Hispanic women: (Laugh heartily).


Dr. ER had entered the "store" as I pumped gas to purchase feminine hygiene products, finding not a box but only loose individual, uh, products. She bought two. And I am blushing as I type this.
----------

Dr. ER, as we pulled into west Amarillo, Texas, after driving in from Santa Fe: "I wish there was something to do worth a shit in Amarillo."

ER, seeing a billboard: "Well, there's a Hooters. Wait what're you talking about?"

Dr. ER: "Something to do for a living."

ER: "Oh."

----------


Dr. ER, as we snaked down a picturesque canyon road south of Ribera, N.M., : "A good road, this is."

ER: "You sound like ... Guido."

Dr. ER: "Do what?"

ER: "Guido."


Moments pass.

Dr. ER: "Ah, you mean Yoda."

ER: "Whatever. Guido. Yoda. Same (mental) drawer."

----------

ER, as we drive up to the base of the tall McDonalds sign at the side of Interstate 40 in Tucumcari, N.M.: "Where the f--- is the McDonalds?"

Dr. ER: "This is for people to see from the highway."


Dr. ER, recognizing that I am already in "a full tizzy," as she puts it, just lets me drive around until I find the damn restaurant a block or so away."
----------

ER, several times over a couple of days of us both eating Mex-Mex food -- not "Tex-Mex" -- around Santa Fe: "Uh, crack the window."
----------

Back in Amarillo tonight. Oklahoma by mornin' ...
:-)

--ER

Comments:
Welcome back,ER. i've missed your comments on my blog lately. sorry, I don't get the reference to the Bay of Tonkin. I know the name but not the history. sorry
 
Glad to be back. Maybe. It'll take some time for me to get back in the bloggin' saddle.
 
Now this is the funny stuff I'm talkin' about. This is what makes a blog fun to read.

So like Dr. ER's window, I cracked a smile.

So am I to guess your better half likes Amarillo a little better than OKC for one reason and one reason only -- she's a Texan? Because I'm not so sure there's that much difference between the two cities, save land mass and the size of "our business", which I'm sure would pay you considerably less to do the same thing you do now.

I guess unless she's a big fan of the Big Texan.

Glad you had a good trip, my friend. Got some other news to pass along, but I'll do that as you walk out the door, I suppose.
 
I think Dr. ER likes Amarillo for one reason only: It's closer to the mountains. :-)
 
She must absolutely love Albuquerque then. :-)
 
I'm w/ Dr. ER as far as mountains are concerned. :)

And I had to laugh about you blushing about tampons. Hi-larious.
 
I had to laugh at that, too, B.

Reminds me of one day shortly after my 16th birthday. Mom tossed me the keys to the car and asked if I'd go to the store for her.

No problem. Driving all by myself? Sure thing.

On the list was a box of tampons, and I flat out refused to get those. Mom said, "OK, if you don't get those, then you don't need to get anything else. I'll just go myself."

So I thought about it, realized that they weren't for me to use and went to Piggly Wiggly with a smile on my face. Even got the right colored box. Mom was proud. I was just happy to be driving.
 
Ha! Tim, I believe I DO have that log. It would take some fairly hefty household archeology to dig it out. But yes, I believe I do. :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?