Saturday, May 14, 2005

 

Overheard in the ER household

By The Erudite Redneck

This morning, between 11 a.m. and noon, comes this voice waftin' into my home office here from the kitchen.

Dr. ER: "ER, is it OK if Bird puts your Texas beer in the crisper?"

ER: "I guess."


xxxxx

If you've never checked out Overheard in New York, linked to the left, do it. It's hilarious. Fair warning: It's pretty raw. It IS New York.

xxxxx

Today was surprisingly productive, and I thank Bitch, Ph.D for it. Yesterday, she invited regulars to leave comments as to what they were procrastinatin' on, and I did, and it guilted me into gettin' some things done today.

So, all that remains for me to have submitted a once-rejected article to another history journal is actually handin' it across the counter Monday morning to a postal employee. Since 9/11, it turns out, you can't just mail envelopes weighin' more than 1 pound. The four copies of my article came in at 1 pound, 4 ounces.

I also went so far as to print off the 40-odd pages of author's guidelines from the Web site of Major Regional University Press. Next is nipping and tucking my thesis to get it in shape for submission. It'll probably be fall before I get that completed.

Which is good because by then I should know whether a paper proposal I am fixin' to pitch to a university conference on Native American women issues has been accepted. If so, then that's another line on my vita, which will be submitted with my thesis to Major Regional University Press.

Said conference, in November, was the cause of my early-afternoon wild-hair trip to the book store to pick up a couple of books on the broad subject of Choctaw matrilineal traditions and cultural habits and such.

The paper I will pitch is a narrow examination of a specific colloquoy that took place between a Choctaw man and some of his nieces in an 1850 Choctaw newspaper. That, I have down pat. The broader issues and history, not so much.

Cool: One of the books I bought is by my fellow panelist at the recent conference in Muskogee. Danged if I ain't actin' like a real historian.

xxxxx

Here's how cool Bird is. She has jobs in hand at both Abercrombie & Fitch AND American Eagle. One of them will get her for the summer.

Bird herself was floored to get the offer at A&F. She says they must have dispensed with their "snotty bitch" requirement for hired hands. Good thing. I done tole her that ol' ER would be keepin' his eyes peeled for any signs of snottiness on her part, in readiness to call her on her shit if need be.

xxxxx

There is a sack in there on the kitchen counter with $45 worth of brisket, ribs, polish sausage, beans, cole slaw, tater salad, pickles and other fixings -- almost 5 pounds of vittles, in all.

The Richmond Night Race, a minor holiday for NASCAR-Americans, is fixin' to come on.

Dr. ER is home! I'm home! Bird is home!

The aforementioned Texas beer, havin' been transferred from under the kichen desk, where I had forgotten about it, to the icebox, is appropriately cooled now for drinkin'.

It don't get much better. :-)

END

Comments:
We keep beer in the crisper too. But we're out right now. Why don't you share your beer, brisket, and cole slaw, you selfish thing?

Also, your work sounds really interesting and cool. And I'm glad you got something done and that I was able, in my small way, to help :)
 
Texas beer? You drinkin' Pearl or Lone Star, ER?

I know what you mean by Texas beer, but 3.2 percent ant 6 percent -- we're talkin' out of 100 percent, ER -- ain't that much diffr'nt. You'll get just as twisty on 12 of one as you would 12 of the other. Even blow the same numbers, in general, on the breathalyzer. So the diffr'nce twix one and the other is all in yo head. :-)

Let's see, good beer? CHECK. Barbecue? CHECK. NASCAR? Eeeehhhh (buzzer sound, please). Arrowhead Stadium? CHECK.

Hey, honestly, I really enjoyed that post. Sounds like you're going to enjoy having Bird around, and so will Momma, I'm sure. Have a terrific Sunday.

You goin' to The Brick?
 
It is cool, B, but it all has to be done after and around "work"! I tell people that my job gets me up in the morning; this history stuff keeps me up late at night. :-)
 
Teditor, now you and I have had this disagreement before.

Oklahoma beer is 3.2 percent alcohol.

Texas beer is 4.9 percentg alcohol (I think; it's not "6 point," though).

The percent change between 3.2 and 4.9 is 53.1 percent. That is way more than statistically significant, the stronger brew DOES have a more pronounced effect, and it MUST make a difference in how you blow when you blow a 'Lyzer, when you're talking, say three Okie beers vs. three Texas beers. Not that I've ever blown one.

I would love to test this with an actual Breathalyzer.
 
Oh, and thanks, and I decided that with school out for summer, I'm pretty tired of all things collegey. Go Pokes. But I don't need to be there to watch it. :-)
 
Big Tex sis and I can there in 3 hrs flat with bbq and beer waiting.. could bring more beer with us..
 
I must've had a rib deficiency. I think I ate nine of 'em! :-)
 
53.1 percent. That's journalism math, y'all.

ER, you crack me up. Whatever helps you along, I guess.

Oh, and those test have been done. I saw the video of 'em when I worked haulin' Budweiser. Otherwise I wouldn't know that much.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?