Thursday, May 05, 2005

 

High horses and low blows

***UPDATED***
***This post, previously rated R, is now rated PG, thanks to expert editing by Yosemite Sam***


Man, this was too good to leave buried in an avalanche of comments. From an irate reader:

Talk about high horses. This E.R. dude is about as high as it gets. His blog is for comments that agree with him, otherwise you get called names like 'dork,' which is very kindergarten like. Both Frenzied Feline and Crystal Diggory expressed their views and got slammed for it. If you want a truly neutral place to discuss things, I suggest you look elsewhere. Just don't bother looking at his precious Dr. E.R.'s blog. She's as full of herself as he is.
Signed,
Anonymous


(Great horny toads! -- YS), so little time! Quickly now! Keep up!

Class, have I EVER discouraged people to stay away if they disagree with me? No.

Am I more often than not longsuffering in tolerating people's meanness and ignorance? Yes.

Do I occasionallly spout off? Yes.

Is calling someone a "dork" an act of war? No. It's actually an affectionate term, to me, for when I disagree with people I care about. Now, people I'm really mad at? I call them "stupid," "jerk," "asshole" or something like that. But not to their face, and usually not here.

Did I "slam" Frenzied and Crystal? Only if you think "dork" is really mean.

Re, "If you want a truly neutral place to discuss things, I suggest you look elsewhere." Yes. Indeed. Never said this was a neutral place -- just an open forum. If I think you're wrong, I'm liable to tell you. But not always.

Seriously, if y'all haven't read the READ ME link at left, do it.

Re, "Just don't bother looking at his precious Dr. E.R.'s blog. She's as full of herself as he is." (You dog-blasted, ornery, no-account, long-eared varmint! -- YS) There. The ONLY instance in this space of me totally abandoning any pretense of civility or reason. Dr. ER is precious. She is She Who Is My Wife. Sir, were you to say such to my face, why, well, (I'm the roughest, toughest, he-man stuffiest hombre as ever crossed the Rio Grande and I ain’t no mamby pamby! -- YS) (What a one-eyed galoot. -- YS). And if you are a ma'am, I would find some other woman and pay her to (booby-trap your britches! -- YS). (Great horny toads! -- YS)

I feel much better now. ANY references to the insult to Dr. ER, or my response, will be deleted.

--ER

Comments:
Yer right. It's my joinbt. On this topic, I choose to pick and choose. You may enter.
 
My friend, my friend, you gots to develop a thicker skin ;)
 
Ha! Prof B! "Redneck" is not part of my handle for looks. Some things are worth fightin' for. My wife is one of them. You think "I will kick your ass" is a simile, or a metaphor? No. Some people need their ass kicked. I stand ready to do it when it involves my self and my fambly. I'm a little, um, "right wing" that way. :-)
 
Think John Wayne hisself.
 
Hey, he did warn us about the bad language. Gotta give him credit for that.

I can't help it, but instead of Wayne or Hesston, I'm thinkin' R.D. Murcer.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Quick note of explanation (not an insult): The reason the gift-receiver became angry was that the photographs were made during a process of renovating the property. They did not reflect how his homestead really looked in the past or would look in the future. It was an inaccurate moment of time.
 
Actually, neither side of this deal ever understood, or made any attempt to understand, the other.

It was a gift from the heart, from both of us, actually -- and it was a piece of art, not intended to reflect reality, past or present.

And it got stomped on, verbally, frantically even.

It was meant as a visual metaphor for the passage of time. As such, the grainy appearance of the BW pix, especially the chipped paint and such on the house itself, fit perfectly -- and well-represented my own memory -- not reality! -- of the house.

The receiver did not, and as far as I know, does not, get that. The artistic element. All the recipient sees is some pictures of a house. OK. Some people get art, others do not.

Further, it was MY IDEA -- not to shoot the pix, but to package them as a gift. (At least I think it was; it's been awhile; I know for a fact I wrote the captions, "Looking Back, "Looking Around," "Looking Forward," and matched them to pix of the house shot from angles to fit each caption.)

Further again, it was MY HOUSE TOO.

And this, friends and neighbors, is the last comment on this subject. It's too dang close to hard, unresolved feelings involving real people in the real world for this forum. I've got my "delete" finger all loosened up.
 
The lesson is that no one can dictate that a receiver actually accept the gift. All you can do is give it. And then you are done. And you don't dwell on how it was received. You keep on giving. And so explains all religious strife from time immemorial.
 
Bravo! A guy who defends his family -- they oughta clone you. :D
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?