Thursday, May 26, 2005

 

Carrie does Oklahoma proud

Carrie Underwood did Oklahoma proud by winnin' that American Idol deal, especially eastern Oklahoma, which is where her hometown of Checotah is.

Checotah -- pronounced "Shuh-KOE-tah" -- is just up the road a piece from my own original stompin' grounds. At around 3,500 population, Checotah is little bigger than my hometown.

I am so proud as a fellow rural Oklahoman, and as a country music fan -- although I'm also a Southern rock fan, and had it not been an Okie girl in the running, I'da been pullin' for that rockin' Bo Rice from 'Bama, all the way.

Y'all, Oklahoma has about 3.5 million people. About 1 million are in the Oklahoma City metro area, and about 1 million are in the Tulsa metro area. The rest are scattered out across almost 70,000 square miles.

It's pretty doggone close-knit, for a state, really. So, bear with us as we all holler and hoop for a spell, for the next Reba:

Carrie Underwood of Checotah, Oklahoma: Saa-LUTE!

--ER

Comments:
Hi ER, delurking here just to chime in that the folks down in southcentral Oklahoma couldn't be prouder of Carrie--she's the topic most loved by the cashiers at Wal-Mart.
 
Nick, We thank ya fer yer support.
 
Kiki, Welcome!
 
I wonder if Carrie can bulldog a steer. If not, she's a Checotah transplant, I reckon. Everybody there knows how to wrestle a steer. :-)
 
Carrie just didn't have her Governor there to congratulate her -- Bo's Governor was down there. Carrie rules. Yay, Carrie.
 
True, but the governor's wife was at the watch party in Muskogee.
 
I love it when national newscasters attempt to pronounce Oologah or Tahlequah. Heh.

Nick, from what I've heard here in central OK, both left and right wingers voted for her. I didn't watch the show -- the Simpsons is my only TV indulgence, but I've heard her sing and she has been a huge topic here...and like almost everyone else in Oklahoma, I was rooting for one of our own. AND she has talent out the wazoo.

I'll TRY to remember that apparently liberal and conservative bias now extend to artistic endeavors. But you'll have to let me know WHICH artistic endeavors I, as a lefty, should prefer, since I've always kinda gone with my gut.

Van Gogh and Bach -- must both be liberal because I like them so much.

I don't care for Christos -- so he must be conservative, huh?

Michaelangelo, El Greco, the Beatles and Jethro Tull -- definitely liberal.

I don't much care for Marilyn Manson or Eminem, so THEY must be conservative.
 
Hey, I thought it was funny! :D
 
I voted for Carrie, and was probably one of the few on the blue left coast that did--lol.

I always thought most country-western types (of artists and people) were conservative. After all, that's a big sea of red there in the middle of the country. Boy, has reading my usual round of blogs proven me wrong! ;)
 
Yer askin' fer it, ya know.
 
Nick's a fass athole! Okay, I don't know Nick. I'm just playing along here.

Dude, it's Bo Bice. Not Rice. You must have Condoleezza on the brain.
 
Howdy, Orange. I realized that Bice-Rice fox pass earlier today, but decided to see if anyone would call me on it. You win! Extra points for pokin' at Nick fer fun! :-)
 
As a Southern California resident, I also voted for Carrie...and I am a "rabid right-winger" who voted for Bush!

Blue in CA
 
OOPS! I guess that should read "Red in CA"

Or just Blond in CA!
 
Hey, Anon. Welcome. You of Oike stock? During the Depression, the saying around here was, "The biggest city in Oklahoma is Bakersfield, Calif." :-)
 
Dang it, "Okie" stock, I meant to say. I wish I could blame that typo on my crippled finger, but alas. ...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?