Friday, April 29, 2005

 

Reporting from the Creek Nation

Whew. Just when I thought the public-speaking coast was clear, I was asked to "say a few words" tonight OFF THE CUFF. OK, with a few minutes to make a few notes to organize my thoughts on the back of a program.

I must confess: I was pleaseder with those five minutes than the 25 or so this morning, for which I had been preparing, in some ways, for the past 2 years.

This morning, I "presented" from my head. Tonight, I spoke from my heart and experience. Not just thank-yous, but a little about what got me into this history biz, and what sustains me in it.

Read all about it, complete with a couple embarrassing details, at Dr. ER's place.

I grew up here in these hills and trees, not out on the plains where Dr. ER and I now live. I love those plains. But I love these hills. They are called the Cooksons. I know that because I'm from here. Where we live north of Oklahoma City once was called the Unassigned Lands. I know that because I read it somewhere.

So, in some ways -- and this is something I didn't see coming -- this was a kind of latter-day homecoming for me, bolstered by my oldest friend taking off work today to come hear me speak this morning. Majorly cool.

Enough "erudite" -- OK, tomorrow at high noon. Then, it's in my truck and on the highway another click or two east, to Mama's, for some "redneck."

She will be proud and pleased to see the plaque I got tonight, and I'm taking her a bound copy of my thesis, and she will read every word of it.

Then on into Fort Smith for some strong beer, and I aim to buy a new Western hat. The straw I wear now scratches my balding head because the band inside is old and cracked. It has seen better days.

Then, it's to the Arkansas River bottoms, to a the remains of a now-long-gone town called Paw Paw, to sit on a tailgate with a couple of friends, drink some beer, smoke a cigar and ponder life's mysteries.

--ER

(I said I'd bed back Sunday night. I forgot Dr. ER had this here laptop! Yes, the one I knew I'd be using to do the Power Point this morning. Duh.)

Comments:
Note to self: Josh Turner, "Long Black Train."
 
Yeh, "Long Black Train" is a good song and I hear it every single Sunday morning as I'm getting ready for church.

"There's victory in the Lord I say
Victory in the Lord
Cling to the Father and His Holy name
And don't go riding on that long black train."

Anyways, congratulations to you, and thanks to both you and the good Doctor for your reports on the day. Her account really cracked me up!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?