Saturday, April 02, 2005

 

phileBibliophileBibliophileBibliophile

By The Erudite Redneck

“Smells like a used book store in your office,” says Dr. ER, who has a nose that won’t quit and used to work in a library, and is a lover of the printed word her own self, so I reckon she knows.

Sigh, here’s why:

Another day, another project left unwritten, another trip to another book store.

“Howdy. My name is E. Redneck. I’m a bookaholic.”

Here’s today’s catch:

1. Allan Nevins, ed., James Fenimore Cooper: The Leatherstocking Saga (New York: Pantheon, 1954).

Subtitle says it all: “Being those parts of The Deerslayer, The Last of the Mohicans, The Pathfinder, The Pioneers, and The Prairie, which specially pertain to Natty Bumppo, otherwise known as Pathfinder, Deerslayer, or Hawkeye; the whole arranged in chronological order from Hawkeye’s youth on the New York frontier in King George’s War until his death on the Western prairies in Jefferson’s Administration.”

I’ve skimmed The Last of the Mohicans. Reading this abbreviated version of it and the other four books in the series -– not too abbreviated; it’s still 833 pages – will fill in gaps in my understanding of the evolution of the image of the American Indian in literature and popular culture.


2. Bernard DeVoto, The Course of Empire (Cambridge: The Riverside Press, 1952).

Now I have the complete trilogy. The others are Across the Wide Missouri (Cambridge: The Riverside Press, 1947) and The Year of Decision, 1846 (Boston: Little, Brown & Co., 1943).

All are first editions, which means nothing except to a BOOKAHOLIC -– AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAA -– someone help me, please -- UUUNNNNGGGGGHHHHHHH


3. Victor Murdock, “It May Chance of Wheat” – A Grain of Wheat Paces Civilization (Kansas City, Mo.: The Lowell Press, 1965).

Another sign that I need help. Murdock was a former congressman, federal trade official and general mucky-mucky who wrote a column for 14 years in the Wichita Eagle -– about WHEAT.

Egad. As a former Texas farm-and-ranch editor, current newspaper columnist, grown-up farm kid and bread eater, I COULD NOT RESIST a compilation of columns about wheat!


4. In today's mail came something Dr. ER picked up for me in Ohio while visiting her sister and had shipped with some other stuff. Dr. ER is an enabler, Dr. ER is!

C. Fred Williams, S. Charles Bolton, Carl H. Moneyhon, LeRoy T. Williams, A Documentary History of Arkansas (Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 1984).

It's just what it sounds like: snippets and whole examples of primary documents from Arkansas history, from letters, journals, public documents, stuff like that, from Spanish explorers to secession to the Little Rock school crisis and such. YUMMY.


All in all, not a bad haul. And I coulda done worse. Books I put back on the shelf included a 1976 reprint of the 1897 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog, and ... and ... well I’ll be danged -– I can’t remember now, which means I didn’t really need the dang thing anyway.

But clearly I NEEDED a book about wheat, a five-in-one volume of Fenimore Cooper and the third link in the DeVoto chain of books about the frontier and the Western movement.

Clearly. Needed. (Hiccup.)

“My name if E. Redneck, and I’m a bookaholic.”

And all the people said, “Hi, E. Redneck!”

END

Comments:
I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!! (Yes, please excuse me from shouting...) My dad used to read to me from that same Leatherstocking collection when I was a 6-year-old. I adored it, loved it dearly.

Now the wheat volume? That reminds me of Wayne Mackey, long-ago beloved columnist for The Oklahoma City Times, and his frequent writings about okra.
 
Consider all those books maintenance. After all, it takes heavy-duty nourishment to keep that award-winning mind piqued. :)
 
Aw, shucks, Feline. Tweren't nothin'. Just EIGHTEEN MONTHS OF OBSESSION -- AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA. ;-)
 
Wheat? Wheat?? It numbs my mind just thinking about it. :) However,the book on Arkansas sounds fascinating. I'm always looking for stories and history to fill in the gaps on my family's geneology in that area.
 
Re, wheat: For five years in Texas, I was working on one of the following nine basic news stories at all times, with various variations: 1. They're fixing to plant wheat. 2. They're planting wheat. 3. The wheat is planted and is being threatened by army worms-rust-mildew-cheat. 4. The wheat needs rain. 5. Wheat fields are too wet. 6. Fields are just right, moisturewise. 7. They're fixing to harvest wheat. 8. They're harvesting wheat. 9. Harvest is over, the crop was either sold out of the field or put in storage to wait for better prices or whatever, and they're worrying about planting wheat.

Then there were the calves grazing the wheat: 1. Cattle are grazing wheat. 2. Cattle aren't gaining enough. 3. Cattle are gaining too much and bloat is a problem. 4. Fields are too wet; cattle are bogging in mud and not gaining enough. 5. Cattle are being pulled off the wheat so it can mature to harvest, or., 6. Cattle are being allowed to graze out the wheat 'cause prices are so low and fuel is high, or something else is making grazeout a better option that harvesting the wheat. Or not.

Don't even get me started on shatter, kernel size and moisture content. ;-)

Re, the Arkansas book: Most fascinating part is the long excerpt from the state slave code.
 
That book about wheat? My father would be in hog heaven. Well, wheat heaven anyway. Do not fight the book addiction! Embrace it!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?