Sunday, April 24, 2005

 

"Holy War Sunday"

***UPDATED***
(See bolded paragraphs below)

Look, friends. This is nothing personal. Some of y'all feel led of the Lord to be right-wingers. Fine. I feel led of the Lord to be a moderating voice.

I also feel led to provoke debate and argument, with my own words and with the words of others. It's what I do.

So, sometimes, like now, I reckon, this is not a blog just for entertainment. It's a place for the sharing of some of the most ideas being stuff debated right now.

So, if you want to laugh -- there is stuff here to make you laugh to keep from crying.

But if you want real humor, this ain't the place for it right now -- except for the Devil hisself, who probably does kick up his heels and hold his sides and LOL when two or three gather in the Lord's name and then get pissed off at one another.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Nick, I truly am sorry if I personally offended you. But I am NOT sorry for feeling the way I do about what is being done in this country in the name of Jesus. It makes me sick.

What a weak Church, to crave the affirmation of the government! What of the sovereignty of God?

Y'all, my dislike of politicians -- and that includes the leaders of supposedly religious organizations that are nothing more than PACs -- goes back to CONSTANTINE. His conversion was the first worst thing to happen to the Church, IMHO.

Now, for "Holy War Sunday," an editorial in today's Louisville (Ky.) Courier-Journal:

"At the rate things are going in American politics, next week will bring ads by the Noah's Ark Veterans for Truth claiming that the two Democrats on board were actually stowaways, whom God had intended for drowning but who snuck on cross-dressed as gayals."

Read all about it.

Take it. Leave it. Weigh in. Or not. But it's nothing personal, either dang way.

***UPDATE***
A friend sent these few paragraphs from The Associated Press story on the Frist meeting:

Critics, including a number of ministers and Democratic politicians,
said holding the event in a church was inappropriate.

At one of several rallies in the city on Sunday afternoon, about 100
protesters sat on the steps of the Jefferson County Courthouse as public
officials voiced their dissent.

During another protest, several hundred people gathered at a
Presbyterian church where progressive religious leaders condemned Frist
and others for using the pulpit to spread a political message.


--ER

Comments:
Well, dang...I hope Nick comes back. He often expressed what I was thinking and did it much more eloquently than I ever could.
 
ROFL--I love the first paragraph! (Yeah, yeah, I couldn't stop reading even though my head is still pounding.)

And just to be sure, I don't love it because Dems were supposed to drown, but it's funny. Did you notice 3&8?? ;)

What's it called when the left uses the REVEREND Al Sharpton and the REVEREND Jesse Jackson to further the left's political cause? What's it called when any candidate/politician speaks in a church about anything but the Gospel?

Just a thought...
 
And one more thing--it's just like a journalist to use a word like "gayals" that the rest of us have to look up to follow the train of thought. What, he couldn't use a simple animal like an elephant or giraffe?? *wink* *wink*
 
Frenzied, it's the same with me whether it's a Lefty or a Righty preaching politics and pretending he or she is doing "God's work." I wish I had me one of them bumper stickers that said "Run Jesse Run" (for president) that people put on the FRONT of their vehicles. :-)
 
Oh, re: "gayals." I guess that's the only critter the writer could find that has "gay" in it. :-) Shoulda just make some wise crack about ephalents and donkeys! :-)

To all: Refresh to see an update to this post.

--ER

P.S. We really do agape-phileo y'all!
 
I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for the next politician in a church. I've always thought it was weird to hold anything in a church given the uproar over separation of church and state. I don't know how some of the churches keep their tax-exempt status. My own church doesn't allow anything political on its property.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to watch play out.

Oh, and a crack about donkeys and elephants would have been a real hoot! :)
 
Didn't see thast. Bubba, too, then, needs to mind his P's and Q's. Although, there is a difference between being overtly partisan and talking about issues, in a church. My preference is for all of it to be kept out of the pulpit. Barring that, of course, I much prefer to see one side than the other misuse the place. Of course I do.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?