Thursday, April 14, 2005

 

Food for thought!

Favorite food to crunch: Fritos. Popcorn. Pork rinds.

Favorite comfort food:
Menudo. Chicken-and-dumplings.

Food that makes the best noise:
Ribeye steak dripping and sizzling on a charcoal grill.

Favorite picnic lunch:
Lunch meat, white bread, Fritos, sweet pickles, white onion, cola, cookies in a plastic bag from home, at a roadside park or any other pit-stoppish place on a road trip.

Favorite food scene in movie:
1. In “Twister,” when the storm chasers are at Aunt Meg’s house in Wakita, (Okla.), she is fixing steaks and eggs and feeding them all. There is a short close-up clip of a sizzling streak as she chucks it on a plate. The effect is lost on TV, but in the theater, he said, starting to drool, that gorgeous slab of cowflesh is about 20 feet wide and 15 feet tall.
2. Various scenes involving Kim Basinger in “9 1/2 Weeks.”

Favorite food lyrics:
1.
We like beer flat as can be
We like our dogs with mustard and relish
We got a great pitcher what's his name
Well, we can't even spell it
We don't worry about the pennant much
We just like to see the boys hit it deep
There's nothing like the view from the cheap seats
--From “Cheap Seats,” performed by Alabama
2.
Hot beer and cold stale hamburgers makes a meal sorta hard to enjoy
And it kinda makes you think of your mama’s chicken
Ah but that's the life of a rodeo cowboy
—From “Life of a Rodeo Cowboy,” performed by Merle Haggard.
3.
Just before the battle, the General hears a row
He says "The Yanks are coming, I hear their rifles now"
He looks down the roadway and what d'you think he sees
The Georgia Militia eating goober peas
Peas, peas, peas, peas, eating goober peas
Goodness how delicious eating goober peas
-- “Goober Peas,” traditional.


Least favorite food lyrics:
And the hangovers hurt more than they used to
And cornbread and iced tea has took the place of pills and 90-proof
And it seems like none of us do things quite like we used to do
And nobody wants to get high on the town
And all my rowdy friends have settled down
-- “All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down,” performed by Hank Williams Jr.


Best food smell memory:
The sweet-sour-smokey-meaty-sugary-diesely-dusty-manurey smell of the average county fair or rodeo.

Favorite summer snack:
Watermelon, eaten with wild abandon, soaking my beard, for dessert, after a steak off the grill, after drinking beer and the odd shot while grilling, after a good day of working in the yard.

Food that reminds me of the ocean:
No food reminds me of the ocean. In Oklahoma, “surf and turf” means catfish and steak fingers.

Favorite winter snack:
Various sliced meat sticks, sliced cheese and saltines. Hardly occurs to me when it’s warm.

Most likely to eat for lunch:
Something from the cafeteria at work, which is really good.

Least likely to eat for lunch:
Nothing. I mean, I never skip lunch,l or I get mean.

Makes me gag:
Octopus.

Food tradition I hate:
Any food used only as a garnish. Keep the goldarn weeds off my plate! Don’t let fruit touch my meat!

Saturday night food:
In summer, very often somethin off my trusty Weber kettle grill. In winter, something very often from a slow cooker.

Favorite wild foods:
Persimmons (pie). Poke salat, although I can’t remember the last time I had it.

Favorite food for sex play:
An unfortunate incident years and years ago involving whipped cream that had been in the freezer and had not been allowed to thaw completely, then another unfortunate incident involving an item of food and a girlfriend’s roomate’s dog, have left me rendered permanently uninterested in such.

Favorite medicinal food:
Menudo, for hangovers. Chicken-noodle soup, for same.

Food that reflects my heritage:
The official Oklahoma State Meal (no lie):
Fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, chicken fried steak, pecan pie and blackeyed peas. [H.C.R. 1083, 1988]

Food most like me:
Oddly, probably some Polynesian or Asian dish that mixes meat and fruit and is sweet and spicy and crunchy and gooey -- in other words, a mass of confusing outward contradictions and internal conspiracies. Chicken a la redneck. Erudite gai pan. Something like that.


Favorite raw food smell:
Anything from my own garden being cleaned, chopped, sliced or otherwise manhandled by my own hands over my own kitchen sink.

If you could have anything to eat, right now, what would it be?
One of my own steaks off of my own grill, hickory- or mesquite-smoked. Tater with butter, sour cream and bacon bits. Roll with butter. Some other vegetable. Bottle of Bass ale.

Comments:
OMG!!! Frozen!!! LMAO!!
 
It pained me to even recollect that. :-)
 
That's it. THAT'S IT! I'm going to create a recipe for Chicken a la Redneck.

Beard on the side.
 
er, how am i ever going to write a real blog entry when you keep giving me opportunities to write a lazy one? stop it, i say!
 
Menudo? What are you, my dad?
 
Ha! At this one Meskin joint in South OKC, after I'd been in several times on Saturday late mornings for medudo -- I was known as El Necko Rojo que toma menudo, roughly "that white guy who always orders menudo," -- the guy at the cash register said, "You like the menudo?" "Si," I replied. "We have good food, too," he said. What IS it with people? That stuff is Los Entrails de Los Dios!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?