Tuesday, April 12, 2005

 

ER's epitaph?

This might work. At least I like to think it would.

"He reported faithfully what he observed, taking special pains to document many of his assertions. He cared little, or not at all, what imperialists, moralists, or even Christians would think of his observations and comments."

-- C. Merton Babcock, on Herman Melville, in introduction to Typee -- A Real Romance of the South Sea (New York: Harper & Brothers, 1959; reprint, London and New York: 1846.), xii


From the same book, a quote from Melville, (xi) on success, with which I concur:

"He who in great things seeks success must never wait for smooth water, which never was and never will be, but, with what straggling method he can, dash with all his derangements at his object, leaving the rest to Fortune."

--ER

Comments:
As an epitaph, I always liked:
"I told you I was sick!"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?