Tuesday, March 29, 2005

 

"The Bottle Tells Me So"

Pre-marryin'-Dr.-ER doggerel of mine. The tune is roughly "Jesus Loves Me," but more bluesy and waltzy. This might make a song in the right hands. There's another verse, but I can't remember it at the moment.
--ER


Jesus loves me, I suppose
But liquor shows me where to go
Since she left me all alone
Oh Jesus, whiskey’s all I know

Yes, Jesus loves me
But why’d she have to leave me?
Someday she’ll be sorry
The bottle tells me so

Little ones to us belong
They hurt so much but did no wrong
Lord, I’m so weak, this liquor’s strong
Sweet Jesus, whiskey’s all I know

Yes, Jesus loves me
But why’d she have to leave me?
Someday she’ll be sorry
The bottle tells me so

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

Comments:
Someone call Hank Jr.!
 
Now that's some high quality stuff. Too bad Toby Keith can't right good stuff like that.
 
I alwas thought Dwight Yoakum might could make that work. It needs his whine. :-)
 
Dwight Yoakum? Maybe he could do it..but while I was reading it, I heard Merle Haggard singing it.
 
I actually sang it out loud on the way to work today, for the first time in a long time, and it was Hank Sr. I thought of.
 
Merle would be good, but unfortunately, I heard ER singing it. Brought a tear to my eye. Not the sentiment, mind you, but the tone-deaf approach.

Sorry, ER. Had to do it.

I'm thinking Hank Jr.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?