Monday, February 28, 2005

 

220-word Erudite Redneck movie review: "Santa Fe Passage" (1955)

Synopsis by Office for Film and Broadcasting, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops:

Tangled Western in which an Indian-hating trail guide (John Payne) leads a wagon trainload of rifles through hostile Kiowa country, but along the way falls for the fiancee (Faith Domergue) of his boss (Rod Cameron) until learning her mother was a Kiowa. Directed by William Witney, the formula story has several big action scenes, a bit of comic relief (Slim Pickens), a long-winded romance and plenty of rugged Utah landscapes. Frontier violence and an anti-prejudice theme.

Excellent oater, this! Anti-prejudice? Well, for 50 years ago, I reckon. But the flick is teeming with political incorrectness, which is why it’s a good ‘un. Lots of “squaw” talk, and the heroine cries because she’s “just” a “half-breed Kiowa.” Sheesh.

Key to the Erudite Redneck’s interest in this movie is the setting, along the Santa Fe Trail between St. Louis and Santa Fe, N.M. The Cimarron Cut-off of said trail scooted across what is now the Oklahoma Panhandle.

Also key to the flick is that the antagonist is none other than Satank, the Kiowa chief. He was one bad ass in real life, although, of course, the movie depicts him as a caricature.

Horses clearly were harmed in the filming of this motion picture. Slim Pickens actually was still slim.

--ER

P.S. Ol’ ER is like a good rodeo bull today, fevered and slingin’ snot, so is home sick, mainly to pertect the innocent. (There’s another rant: If yer sick, stay the hell home!). I am feeding a cold – with the Western Channel. Yeehaw!

Comments:
I knew you must not be at work today. And yes! if you're sick, stay HOME. I hate people who "try to work through it." They make me SICK!
 
P.S., feel better!
 
I just want to know: are you sick, or are you sharing special time with Wichita police? And exactly how often have you been to Wichita anyway?
;)
 
There IS a damned eerie resemblance between ol' ER and the POlice mugshot of that BLT dude! Just peel my scalp back another half-inch or so and put more salt than pepper in my beard. I thought so myself when I saw the murderous freak's picture in the paper.
 
Sorry you're feeling poorly. Hope you shake it soon.
 
You are too funny, DTG. Hey, I turned down a job at the Wichita Beagle once; they couldn't come up with enough scratch to justify a move from Texas; come to think of it, they did sort of p--- me off ... :-)
 
Following that link to the Santa Fe Trail cut off show me that they have an trek on the trail the first Sat in October. I may just have to put that on my schedule and go rediscover some roots.
 
That might do ya some good, Braingirl! :-)(I swear, these handles are better'n CB radio's!)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?