Thursday, January 06, 2005

 

"Back to Sadnormal"

By The Erudite Redneck

Holiday family time is fixin’ to be over at the ER household. Dr. ER flies off to Florida on bidness tomorrow. Bird heads back to Oklahoma State on Saturday.

And ol’ ER will be all by his lonesome. Again.

ER was not mean to be left by hisself. He gets melancholy every time.

Truth be told, he’d accept another tattoo, hell, a dadgum Bird tongue ring, probably, with a reluctant smile, if the option was not havin’ Bird around at all.

Last night was about as good as it gets. Both ER and Dr. ER and Bird were all under one roof. It don’t happen that often anymore – and it never happened enough to suit me ever.

As long as we’ve been married, Dr, ER has been flyin’ off to this or that to-do, or drivin’ to get there, and Bird has spent summers and half the holidays (more than half, it seems like) with her biological father and his wife, and Bird’s half-siblings, in Texas.

Maybe that’s why I am so confounded jealous and protective of Bird, and so desperate for times when she and her mama and me are all in the same place at the same time.

Thank God for Dr. ER and for Bird. ER was 33 before ever gettin’ hitched, and he’d about give plumb up on the notion of ever havin’ his own family. When it happened, he was as surprised as could be.

With Bird easin’ out on her own more and more, ol’ ER gets so sad sometimes he wants to write sad country song lyrics, which, along with cheap whiskey, was how he used to get by back when he was single and so lonesome he could cry, back before Cupid shot him full of arrows and left stars in his eyes for the future Dr. ER and a little Bird.

The strings on my guitar have been on there since at least 1997, which is when Cupid’s shootin’ culminated in a couple of I-do’s before a Justice of the Peace in a Texas county courthouse. Suddenly it seems like a long, long time ago.

Something’s got to give, and it might as well be a new set of strings, the healed-up blisters on my chordin’ fingers from lack of playin’ and a fresh No. 2 pencil pencilin’ in some sad words all wrapped up in C, D, G, F and a few other, mostly minor, chords.

Song No. 1 on the album titled The Next Stage of ER’s Life:

“Back to Sadnormal.”

--END

P.S. No mean remarks tolerated in the Comments on this one, y'all.

Comments:
Ain't love truly grand? I hope I find that kind of love one day -- the kind that puts stars in your eyes and makes you so sad when you're left alone, even if it's just the length of a business trip.
I was 32 when I got married, but it sure wasn't love, not like that. And that's why it didn't last. But that's another sad song, in a different key, for a different guitar.
 
I know just how you feel. I miss the boys every day. Even though I love having some alone time, when they're gone overnight, I'll stay up as long as I can because I hate sleeping in the house alone. I like knowing my guys are under the same roof with me.

Sounds like a good name for a song. :)
 
Be sure to steer away from "Ten Minutes Back to Sadnormal," or some writer in Texas would claim you copped her idea.
 
I don't know what that last one means. ?
 
I'm guessing, ER, that someone who used to work with you doesn't like you one little bit. And instead of coming to you and saying you were a bastard to them, that person has found your blog and wants to torment you with his/her little mind.

But that's just a guess.
 
Teditor, tsk, tsk. What an evil sort of mind you have!! :-)

I figured ER would figure this out eventually, being such a lover of BOOKS.

It's a reference to Karen Hughes' "Ten Minutes from Normal," but I guess that is just far too obscure for even the most bookish.

And I feel sure ER feels a little silly even asking, now the explanation's here!!
 
Now dang it, just about any book not written on people long dead couldn't have been on my radar lately. Karen Hughes, I know. Never heard of her book! Mebbe I should be embarrassed!~
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?