Friday, November 26, 2004

 

GTT*

Off to West Texas! The South Plains! The Cotton Capital of the Lone Star State! Lubbock, Texas!

Which Mac Davis planted in his rearview mirror back in the day. The greater environs of which -- think Idalou -- I was smitten by whilst gallavanting across the plains on my trusty steeds -- an '89 Ford Ranger, then a '91 model -- for half of the '90s.

It is a source of pride to me that I once was one of the last of a dying breed: a Texas farm-and-ranch editor. Yeehaw. Dang near took the farm editor post at the AJ, in fact -- the "AJ" bein' the Avalanche-Journal, which is purt' near the oddest-named newspaper I know of -- which woulda put me in tall cotton, indeed. But the editor where I was, at another Texas paper, decided it was worth a few more thousand dollars a year to keep me put.

Ahh, yes. I spect the dirt will be flyin' and the cotton fiber will be blowin' in the air.

Yep, this football trip will second as a trip down memory lane for me. Oklahoma State Cowboys vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders, tomorrow. Supposed to be a lo-o-on-ng game, since Tech is so pass happy -- and OSU can be when it needs to be.

Go OSO! Go Cowboys! GO POKES!

* "GTT" -- "Gone To Texas," intitials or phrase left scrawled on homes, stores, barns and what all in the early 19th century by folks who left all for adventure and a piece of dirt to call their own -- in TEXAS.
--ER

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?