Monday, October 18, 2004

 

Treaty of Doak's Stand

Today is the 184th anniversary of the Treaty of Doak's Stand, in Mississippi, one of nine treaties whereby Choctaws ceded their land in the east in exchange for land west of the Mississippi River, in present-day Oklahoma.

It was a "Treaty of Friendship, Limits and Accommodation." Later, after removal in the 1830s, there was a town called Doaksville a mile from Fort Towson, some 15 miles east of present Hugo, Okla. (Doaksville, long gone, was a typical bustling frontier town. The two newspapers I studied for my master's thesis, the Choctaw Telegraph and the Choctaw Intelligencer, were published there.)

The Treaty of Doak's Stand also meant to help "promote the civilization of the Choctaw Indians." Fascinating stuff. Read the Treaty of Doak's Stand at:

http://mshistory.k12.ms.us/features/feature14/doaks_1.html

--ER

Comments:
Between you and Trixie, I'm finally learning my Oklahoma history!
 
Please contact me, Erudite Redneck - I'm related to the Doaks of Doak's Stand and Doaksville and would very much like to know whatever reliable data you may have concerning (Trader) William Doak & his brother Josiah.
As far as I can make out, William & Josiah were sons of a William Doak, a brother of my gtgtgtgdfather but some Doak 'family historians' (i.e the kind that give genealogy a bad name) seem to have convinced themselves that Trader William Doak of Doak's Stand was actually William Paisley Doak, a son of my gtgtgtgdfather
Best wishes
Ralph
r.doak@alvaneli.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?