Monday, October 11, 2004

 

"Praecipitatum verius quam editum"

None of y'all ever asked about the recent addition to my label up there, under "Erudite Redneck," next to where it says, "For folks educated past their raisin'," so I'll tell you'ns.

"Praecipitatum verius quam editum" is latin. It means somethin' like "thrown together rather than edited," which splains my approach to this blog. It's what Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam, Netherlands, said about one of his own translations of the Bible, in 1516.

--ER

Comments:
Mmmmmm,'k. I didn't ask cuz I don't speak Latin cuz only geeks speak Latin. ;)
It takes an erudite redneck to mix Latin with 12 Arkansas beers and be sober enough to write about it the next day.
 
I looked it up! :)
 
Tech, I figured as much! Trixie, I have a bud who used to teach Latin and Greek at a college in Mississippi. Now, THAT's an erudite redneck!
 
I just thought you were showing off! ;)

Sorry--I really did notice, and meant to ask, but I must have gotten sidetracked.

Are you still in touch with your friend? I've been wanting to get a family saying translated into Latin so I could make a sign for my mom and sisters' kitchens. :)
 
One of TECH's many interests is Latin! TECH?
 
I just posted the story about why I want the saying translated, so feel free to move this portion of the conversation over to my place. :)

By the way, ER, I mentioned you to my sister in our conversation about still trying to get it translated.

She laughed and said, "Erudite Redneck? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?"

Forgive her--she's an extra-smart smarty-pants! ;)
 
I think that's a good quote for life, as well as your blog. Life shouldn't be edited, but thrown together and mixed well.
 
With a little pepper and salt!
 
I happen to think my whole life has been
thrown together, unedited. that's why I
would refere to myself as the extra spicy
mrs dash. I personaly thing if everyone
knows what you will do next..what the heck
is the fun in it.

mamabear
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?