Thursday, October 28, 2004

 

Ah jest cain't hep it

By The Erudite Redneck

The other day I used a tape recorder in an interview for the first time in about 15 years. When I replayed it to transcribe the notes, I heard my own voice for an extended period for the first time since some people who didn’t know any better let me be a radio deejay.

Hoo boy. What a dang hick! I mean, there ain’t enough dropped Gs, gratuitous diphthongs, triphthongs and apostrophes to get across in writin’ exactly what I sound like in person.

That’s why I wound up in the bidness I wound up in: I have a face for radio and a voice fer newspaper.

Get this: My twang is so bad I used to get in trouble workin’ at an also-ran AM radio station in the second-largest city in Arkansas!

The station manager came in one day, closed the studio door and turned down the speakers.

"Uh oh," thought the 20-year-old ER. "I’m fixin’ to get a talkin' to."

"R," he said, holdin’ up a note card, "what is this word?"

"Bowkay," I allowed.

He sighed.

Holdin’ up another card, he asked, "And what is this word?"

"Flyers," I said.

Whereupon came the anticipated talkin’ to.

It was just before Valentine’s Day. We were runnin’ a promotion where the first caller won a bouquet of flowers — that’s a "bookay of flours" just about everywhur but where I grew up.

Heck, if I was destined to work in the media, I was dang well doomed to print from the start!

END

Comments:
Yes, and doggone it, it rubs off on the rest of us too! I grew up in the north-central part of the state which has a vastly different dialect than the east-southeast. It's where the monied people from "Back East" first made attempts to bring "culture" to this part of the continent. When I'm there, or around my old pals, I sound a little more educated. But if I hear your twang, I am lost. I think it's just more fun.
 
Yeah, you need to hear yourself every now just for a reality check. I know I have a little twang, mostly a Kansas twang, which is much different than that of Ol' ER.

But I find in conversations with ER that his twang comes right out of me. It's like my inner redneck is being exorcised.

And I noticed my prim and propper friend -- who's obtaining her doctorate in economics at Baylor and who holds the knife in the right hand all the time and who speaks and writes well -- has developed a central-Texas touch to her talk.

When we first met, she would make fun of folks sayin' "I'm fixin' to ..." etc. We talked the other night, and I heard "fixin' " at least three times, as well as noticing that Texas drawl. Quite funny.

And truth be known, the ER is one of the smartest fellas I know. Just cause he speaks as though his trailer house has done been robbed by the neighbor, he's as smart as they come.
 
That is what is great about ER. He fits in
both worlds. He can talk with highly educated
when he needs to. But his heart belongs to the
down home folks. I am not sure that came out
right. I think he will understand. I am sorry
about the Mad cowboy thing. I did not go to
either so really should not care either way.
 
That is what is great about ER. He fits in
both worlds. He can talk with highly educated
when he needs to. But his heart belongs to the
down home folks. I am not sure that came out
right. I think he will understand. I am sorry
about the Mad cowboy thing. I did not go to
either so really should not care either way.
 
Many thanks, JD. That is my exact mission in life. To be able to look both ends of life in the eye and communicate with all. :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?