Thursday, September 16, 2004

 

My Race Space

By The Erudite Redneck

Well, I'll swan. Look what God, the inspiration of her redneck husband and easy technology hath wrought: Dr. Erudite Redhead, a.k.a. She Who Is My Wife, has started her own blog. Check it out at http://www.myracespace.blogspot.com/

You will see her as I first saw her: via her words, her wit and her thinkin' as reflected in her writin'. She and I met on-line -- although in a controlled on-line environment, not as two e-ships passin' in the night.

I was the stand-in host for a weekly topical chatroom organized by the newspaper I worked at in Texas. She was in grad school at Oklahoma State. The topic was one of interest to her and her studies.

I b'lieve the topic was pesticide drift and the damage it can cause. A bunch of cattlemen in North Texas were gettin' a little careless with the 2,4-D they were hirin' cropdusters to spray on their pastures to control weeds and brush. Summers in the mid-'90s were dang hot and windy ones, so the weed killer was driftin' from range land to nearby cotton fields, where it was killin' the cotton.

It was a real-life modern example of how, despite what Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote, the cowman and the farmer can't always be friends.

Anyway, part of then-not-yet Dr. Erudite Redhead's studies had her interested in chemical pesticides, although I think her bent was more along the line of organo-phosphates. Anyway further, she clicked into the chatroom, joined the conversation -- and I started sort of flirtin' with her, sight unseen, in Instant Messages as the chatroom conversation went on.

We corresponded for a few months, then arranged to meet next time she was in town (the newspaper was in her hometown). Then kept correspondin' and kept meetin' and lo and behold here we are, fixin' to be married for seven years come Nov. 25.

She says we met "through the paper." I say we met on-line. We're both right.

And we both write. And she is dang good at it. Read her stuff and you will fall for her, too.
Welcome, She Who Is My Wife, to the world of bloggin'. :-)

END

Comments:
Both of you blogging? How will the world survive? :)
 
Just don't both of you go on hiatus at the same time--gotta' have my daily dose of Redneck one way or another! :)
 
More odes to NASCAR... oh god help us all
-dtg
 
"You will see her as I first saw her: via her words, her wit...."

Very sweet.


---Signed, Tired in Texas.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?