Sunday, August 29, 2004

 

NASCAR High Holy Day redux: Santy came twice!

By The Erudite Redneck

Two loads of presents! Junior’s winnin’ of both the Busch race Friday and the Sharpie 500 last night at Bristol was about as good as racin’ gets in the ER household, at least since Dale Earnhardt died in ought-1.

Dr. Erudite Redhead, Bird and I agreed that we’d never seen Junior happier – and the doc and I can’t believe it’s been five years already since Dale Sr. “rattled” Labonte’s “cage” to win at Bristol, which was mentioned in the Victory Lane interview.

Sigh, those with redneck ears to hear, hear me. The rest of y’all probably know some of the words in the above, but not others, sorter like readin’ original Shakespeare or “Beowolf,” I reckon.

Bird update: Her little feets hurt, she reports, from all the walkin’ associated with livin’ at Bennett Hall at OSU, which is a solid hike from just about every classroom on campus. I feel her pain. Livin’ in Bennett like to broke me from wearin’ cowboy boots for the same reason, which is ironic, OSU bein’ an aggie school.

To this day, my brother gives me manure for comin’ home in a Resistol – and a pair of Nikes. He’s only bein’ protective. That kind of social fox pass will get your butt handed to you in parts of eastern Oklahoma. But, me bein’ a pretty big ol’ Redneck, people generally leave me be. Truth is, I’ve just got the bluff on ’em, since even when I'm bein a bear it's of the teddy variety, mostly.

END

Comments:
Man, do I remember that walk! I particularly liked walking through the breezeway during the winter when you had watch for ice on the ground. I was probably the fittest in my life then due to that long haul to go to any class from there. But hey, it's right next door to the stadium. That was always cool. You could wake up, shower and eat breakfast and then walk leisurely across the street to watch OSU play. I miss that part of college.
 
Forgive my West Coast ignorance...

They have a race named after a pen?? :)
 
Sure 'nough, Frenzied friend. Sharpie is a major sponsor, mainly because the indelible pens are perfect for gettin' drivers' autographs on caps, shirts, coolers -- heck, beer cans, body parts and dang near anything else you can think of. Seriously. One does not go to a race without a Sharpie or two! :-)
 
Ohhhhhhhhhhh! Duh, makes perfect sense!

I have to tell you that there must be a certain segment of the population on the West Coast that the Nascar crowd puts to shame. DH's company makes parts for the space shuttle. NASA sends out astronauts to its contractors as part of a "meet-and-greet" program. Last visit, families were invited, and of course we got to meet the astronaut and get his autograph. Halfway home, DH called my cell phone and said to be careful with the autographed pictures because "someone" in the office brought dry-erase markers instead of Sharpies for the autographs! I guess what we really needed was a redneck to put that event together! ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?