Wednesday, August 25, 2004

 

Idiot's Guide to ... modern teachin'

By the Erudite Redneck

Baby Bird called and checked in with me yesterday, and I appreciate her efforts to calm the ol’ Erudite Redneck down some. I had been grumblin’ under my breath about the status of higher education ever since I saw the "textbook" required for her freshman American gubment class at Oklahoma State.

It still pains me to type these words in the context of a college class: "The Complete Idiot’s Guide to American Government." I got plumb sore when I saw that that was her "textbook."

Holy Magna Carta! One of the things I talked OSU out of way back when was a degree in political science. I’m a little sensitive on the subject, as well as the pedagogy thereof. See, they actually turned me loose one semester, when I was a senior -- the second time -- to lead a twice-a-week freshman American gubment discussion lab.

So, Bird called to tell me the rest of the story as soon as she knew it.

Her perfesser told the class that the text the political science department recommended cost $88. The Idiot’s book cost $18. Baby Bird said the perfesser said requiring the Idiot’s book was his own form of personal protest over the gouging that college students take when they buy books for class.

Well, I’ll swan. I will hoist a Guinness in his honor at the first opportunity. He sounds like my kind of perfesser. Plus, Bird was fairly interested in the class, partly because the perfesser is Irish -- remember that she is my Redheaded Redneck Stepchild -- and plans to teach American government from somewhat of a European perspective, which I think is dang cool.

And, truth be told, the Idiot’s books are pretty good. They actually let me help proof and write forewords for two of the things. I haven’t looked at the American gubment one, but there probably is a Ph.D. lurking somewhere in the writin’ or other preparation of it, or at least checking the galleys.

Whatever it takes to get the Bird interested in gubment and important ideas like Freedom, Order and Equality, which are pretty much the three-legged stool the country stands on, despite the current administration’s attempts to knock the first one out.

Used to, the Bird’s normally fiery eyes would go cool and glaze over when I started such a rant. I expect that by the end of the semester, she’ll be able to at least carry on a conversation, especially if her gubment prof or some other starts requirin’ her to read the news -- they still do that -- and especially after she votes for the first time in November.

There is sheer, unintended and timely genius in putting "Idiot" and "American government" in the same title of a book right now. Bird will "get" that, and a lot of other things, before long.

END

Comments:
Oh my! A profound change is taking place here, did you notice? This is a celebratory moment in the ongoing journey of E.R., stepfather. Baby Bird, who is now a fledgling rather than a nestling, has become, simply, Bird.

Way to go, Dad. She'll be soaring with the eagles come election day in November!
 
I'll have to buy that book. You know how I feel about history so anything that makes it easier to read is a good thing.

You should write a book. I'd read that. (But include a lot of pictures. I likey pictures.)
 
We must all remember that the Erutide One IS an idiot's guide to about anything. He can splain housing costs and their affect on the community in a way I can understand.

That's sayin' somethin'.

As fer fotos, I'd be a little concerned about the ones ER would use in an American history book -- the same one that would claim the South had actually won the Civil War. =)
 
What? The South didn't win the War Against Northern Oppression? I've got to stop getting my history only from ER. :)
 
Now, dang it. It's War of Northern Aggression. Or, War for Southern Independence. Or, Second American Revolution. Or, War Between the States. Or, The Late Unpleasantness. :-)
 
I do believe I have th' vapors!
 
"The Complete Idiot’s Guide to American Government" - you're kidding, right? Please tell me you're just kidding.
-TDG
 
Nope. It's a real deal. Alpha Books.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?