Monday, August 09, 2004

 

Freedom's just another word for -- anonymity

Greeeeeeeeeetings, y'all! I find myself on the horns of a dilemma. (It's a Hereford. Herefords are known for their ... randiness. You know why Angus meat is so popular? Because it's tender. Because Angus mamas are gentle calvers, and Angus bulls tend to hang out with one other bulls rather than perform the job that God and ranchers intend. They're sissies, in other words. My dad raised both. But I digress).

My dilemma is this, and it's no bull: I got the go-ahead at work to fully identify myself on this here blog. Do I do so or not? What are the pros and cons, y'all? If I do, then I will be under the same voluntary constraints I am already in in the real word. I can't overtly support any political party, or specific candidate, and I can't take sides in some controversies. It's a sacrifice I make to maintain the appearance of objectivity in the news business. It would extend to this blog, if I identify myself. One one hand, remaining anonymous brings total freedom to write what I want. On the other hand, who cares what an Erudite Redneck, or any other anonymous blogger, thinks? I personally don't give a hoot about any opinion by someone who hides behind anonymity. What say ye, fellow scribes?

END

Comments:
Anonymity. One of the cool things about blogs is the ability to support your views and take sides. Since your job won't allow you to be open about your opinions, anonymity is the way to go.
 
I vote for anonymity, also. TECH's reasoning seems sound. Without it, you'll be forced to namby-pamby around. No one likes a Namby-Pamby; that's why no one likes Kerry. (I thought I would fire the first political volley!)
 
I vote for anonymity. Enjoy the freedom, save the constraints and restraints for work.
 
Anonymity. Those who know you personally will already know your point of view, so they won't care. Those who don't know you, well, let them hear the message. The messenger doesn't matter nearly as much.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?